• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque Conveter Locking Switch

XJoshua

NAXJA Forum User
Well after reading GoJeep's website for ideas and seeing he had info on a tc lock switch and 1st gear lock out. I knew I had found the info I needed to properly run on a dyno for proper numbers. I just need some stuff cleared up.

To stay in thrid gear using the lock out and tc lockup I would engage both switches while in O/D which would lock me in 3rd?

Next GoJeep makes several warning not to put load on the drive train otherwise itll cause damage to the torque converter. So being on a dyno there is still some resistance on the cylinders and youre on the trottle which causes load. So is this still the proper way to stay in 1:1 and has anyone killed their torque converter doing dyno runs?

And since when the torque converter is locked it acts like a manual how do you start out on the dyno? Have the switch turned off, then when you get moving turn the switch on? Wouldnt this cause more damage since youre hard on the throttle then locking everything together?

Done it. Get into 3rd at idle. I don't rememeber the speed. leave it locked and just put peddel to the metal until the cut off. That will scare you the first time!

whats the cut off 5300rpms? Im sure my stroker will handle more rpms now but i think keeping it around stock redline will be safer.

XJoshua said:
whats the cut off 5300rpms? Im sure my stroker will handle more rpms now but i think keeping it around stock redline will be safer.

What makes you think the stroker will have a higher redline? Are you running stronger rods and pistons? I'd think you want to keep it the same or maybe even lower since a longer stroke which means a higher piston speed, right?

I dont know the redline on the 4.0 I dont have a tach, while that is next on the to do list.

I do belive my redline will raise a few 100 due to strong rods, stress factor free completely balanced rotating assembly, roller rockers, chromemoly push rods. Its enough to raise it a few more over stock but i have no reason to rev that high. Wouldnt my cut off be determined by the dyno operator when he notices a drop off in torque and hp?

There are quite a bit of questions you are asking that make me feel uneasy about you not knowing how a dyno run works. Let your tuner drive.

And dyno pulls are not a "start the engine and gun it" thing. They are full pulls.......... go to a shop and watch some pulls, then most of all your questions should be answered

well i wont be driving but the majority of the problems with auto on the dyno seems to be not being in 1:1 and that throws off the numbers with some of the other XJers here. Im just trying to determine if having the tc locked like members have suggested is safe and proper way of doing a dyno run with a automatic.

Back