• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP229 swap...help

socratica

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched but not gotten a good solid answer... I have an '84 with an NP229 that is getting retired from the 5 min commute to work, so now it is serious trail time.

A. Should I replace the poorly designed vaccuum case with an NP231 or maybe a 242? Should I look to swap out the transmission, x-fer case and driveshafts all at once or is my old 904 auto going to be fine with one of these cases bolted straight to it? What spline count, yr, etc of these cases should i look for at the junkyard?

B. I have a free NP207 at my disposal i could swap in, however, the tin can CV front driveshaft wont last long with my 4.5" lift i am now running. So, what driveshaft could I run with slight modification??? That is if i went this route.

My jeep has a "fresher" low mileage 2.5, 4.56's, 31's (33's later for the trail) so i wanna get some fun outa this since i have it.

I have the NP207 it it seems to be a solid case as I have had no problems with it. To address the drive shaft problem unbolt the flange output from the NP207 and get the drive shaft and yoke output from a NP231. You will have to shorten the drive shaft and trim the output on the NP207, its pretty straight forward and there are write ups here on NAXJA.

I am assuming you have a AX5 if not I really don't know on ease of putting in a NP207 but I would imagine it would be easier than the other cases plus you have a free one.

Back