• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door hinge lift off mod write up

CanMan

NAXJA Forum User
First I started by breaking loose the 6 T40 torx bolts that hold on the door. Next, I punched out the pin that holds on the hinge thing that keeps the door open(don't have a pic of that, it broke in the past).

100_3996.jpg

I unplugged the connectors that lead to the door for the power windows, locks, and the speaker.

100_3997.jpg

Then I got the old man to hold the door while I took out the remaining bolts, and removed the door.

100_3998.jpg

Next, I got out the cut off wheel, and started cutting at the bottom of the hinge like so. Repeat for the other hinge.

100_4002.jpg

Once all the way through, pound off the bottom of of the remaining part of the hinge, then pound the hinge upward to remove it.

100_4004.jpg

Next I cleaned the top of the pin, and tack welded it in a few places with my trusty Miller 135.

100_4006.jpg

100_4008.jpg

100_4010.jpg

Next, I cleaned the pin shafts. I removed the bushings from the door hinge part and cleaned it with a pipe cleaner.

100_4014.jpg

100_4011.jpg

I bolted the hinges back on the door. I went ahead and tried putting the door on, but the door kept hitting the fender.

100_4013.jpg

So, I cut around 3/8" off the top hinge shaft, so the door would go down far enough to clear the fender.

100_4012.jpg

Once back on, I check the tightness on the torx bits, plugged in the harness, and covered the bare metal parts with some black paint.

100_4015.jpg

With no hinge bushings, the door does close correctly on the striker. Its a trail rig, so Im not concerned with how the door closes.

100_4016.jpg

Next up, I have to finish the half doors. These are going to be lift off also, so I can change between the 2 during the sunny and rainy days.

100_4017.jpg

Always remember to use the proper saftey equipment when woking on your junk.

Sorry but that is the worst mod ever.

Did the same to my '96 last year, even got everything lined up so the doors actually close better than they did from the factory.

Sure it looks cool driving around town, but try to do anything off road, and it's miserable. Extremely loud on the road, windy, impossible to have phone conversation, things fly into your eyes, etc. Offroad my face, mouth, eyes, ears, interior all get covered with mud/dirt/dust/water/rocks.

Things are easily stolen, and if it's hot, your AC doesnt do any good.

I'll say again, worst mod ever. Doesnt even help much with visabily when wheeling. I can accomplish the same by sticking my head out the window.

The only thing it ever did for me was sure make me appreciate my doors.

90Pioneer said:

Did the same to my '96 last year, even got everything lined up so the doors actually close better than they did from the factory.

Sure it looks cool driving around town, but try to do anything off road, and it's miserable. Extremely loud on the road, windy, impossible to have phone conversation, things fly into your eyes, etc. Offroad my face, mouth, eyes, ears, interior all get covered with mud/dirt/dust/water/rocks.

I'll say again, worst mod ever. Doesnt even help much with visabily when wheeling. I can accomplish the same by sticking my head out the window.

CanMan said:
Its a trail rig, so Im not concerned with how the door closes.

CanMan said:
Next up, I have to finish the half doors. These are going to be lift off also, so I can change between the 2 during the sunny and rainy days.

To tell you the truth, I could care less how it sounds on road. I dont talk on the phone while wheeling, and could care less how dirty I get when wheeling. The AC doesn't work anyways, so OBA is on the list. Plus, its illegal to have no doors around these parts, hence, the half doors.

Really, how hard is it to switch from door to door? Open, remove harness, lift off, put on, shut door. Repeat as necessary.

To each his own.
icon_rolleyes.gif

CanMan said:
To tell you the truth, I could care less how it sounds on road. I dont talk on the phone while wheeling, and could care less how dirty I get when wheeling. The AC doesn't work anyways, so OBA is on the list. Plus, its illegal to have no doors around these parts, hence, the half doors.

Really, how hard is it to switch from door to door? Open, remove harness, lift off, put on, shut door. Repeat as necessary.

To each his own.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Sorry I am an idiot. I didnt notice you intended to do half doors. But then again why can't you just roll the window down?

I've got power locks/windows, and the doors are freaking heavy, pins can be difficult to align. Harness is a PINA to fish through the holes. So I would say there definately is some difficulty.

You obviously haven't owned a Wrangler. You get used to things like wind noise and eventually come to appreciate the "no cell phone" thing. It makes a great excuse to avoid annoying phone calls. ;)

yeah i like the no cell phone thing.Just for kicks follow some dude yappin on his cell phone while driving and watch the brake light use and watch the speed they stay at. for the brake lights pay attention to what is actually in front of the cell phone user, no reason to actually use them.This condition is called "UEB" to me= Un Explained Braking!!!!!! cracks me up.:doh: :roflmao:

I thought this mod was probably the best mod I ever did to my old XJ. In Ohio you're allowed to drive doorless. I never used the AC, that's why I took the doors off originally; to keep cool. I also thought that it really opened up my visibility on the trails. It did allow more mud/dust/junk into my cab area, but a quick hosing down took care of all that.

To each their own.

I've done this mod on mine and love it. My daughter thinks it's the greatest thing to be able see out on the trails and not threw a window that only goes half way down. Heck here in Texas you only need enough window to mount the registration and inspection and doors who needs doors. It's a JEEP

Just took the doors of my 88 and it is cool on the trail however just doesnt seem as safe on the road, I have had my share of wranglers and they feel safer for some reason. will make tube doors that should take care of that unsafe feeling

90Pioneer said:

Every riden in a CJ/YJ/or TJ? Thats part of owning a Jeep.. the no top/no doors..

90Pioneer said:
impossible to have phone conversation,

Not to mention illegal..

To each thier own... But I plan on having a K5, or CJ/YJ for a trail rig for the openess..

90Pioneer said:
I've got power locks/windows, and the doors are freaking heavy, pins can be difficult to align. Harness is a PINA to fish through the holes. So I would say there definately is some difficulty.

The doors are heavy if you are a sissy. :D

Pins are not bad at all to align, and the it takes all of 1 minute to undo the harness.

Like I said before, its not a street rig, doors are just for legality and saftey when it does see street time to fill up on gas or drive to a local trail. Other wise, while on the trail, the half doors will be on.

And if I dont like it, hey, no loss to me really, just some of my own time and very little $$.

Great Write up.

2 Questions:

When you say "So, I cut around 3/8" off the top hinge shaft, so the door would go down far enough to clear the fender. "

What exactly are you cutting? The Pin itself or are you trimming the top surface of the a-pillar hinge halfs so that the door sits lower when attached?

Second question:

When you say "With no hinge bushings, the door does close correctly on the striker. Its a trail rig, so Im not concerned with how the door closes."

Does that mean that you wouldnt reconmend it for a Daily Driver? Im going to the beach this weekend :)

Thanks!

Plays For Jeeps said:
Great Write up.

2 Questions:

When you say "So, I cut around 3/8" off the top hinge shaft, so the door would go down far enough to clear the fender. "

What exactly are you cutting? The Pin itself or are you trimming the top surface of the a-pillar hinge halfs so that the door sits lower when attached?

Second question:

When you say "With no hinge bushings, the door does close correctly on the striker. Its a trail rig, so Im not concerned with how the door closes."

Does that mean that you wouldnt reconmend it for a Daily Driver? Im going to the beach this weekend :)

Thanks!

I believe he is saying tha the didn't put the bushings back in where they came from (you have to remember which bushings came from which hinge for it to look/close the exact same way if you unbolt the hinge from the door), but the door will still close, even if you do manage to screw the bushings up.

He is also talking about trimming some of the pin off cause the door is awful close to the a-pillar when putting it on/removing it. This allows you to get it away from the body quicker when removing it so you don't scratch your paint.

90Pioneer said:

While it's true, "each his own", I have to agree with you.

Why is it necessary to even stick your head out the window? If you know your rig, it's wheel base and have appropriate driving skills, you KNOW where your wheels are. The only time I've ever stuck my head out the window was to see how high the water was coming up the side of the door or how much of my tire was hanging over the ledge. If it's so important to stick your head out the drivers side, why aren't you scrambling ass to look out the passenger side? Is that tire any less important for placement?

Nor am I just a casual wheeler. I've done all but 2 of the top places at Moab, all the places in OH, Badlands IN, Coal Creek ORV TN, Paragon PA and several places in Canada to name a few.

I've wheeled the coldest of winters and the hottest of summers and never felt the need to remove doors.

Oh well, that's my view on things and I'll let the kids start squeeling now.

I'm no kid, and I'm not gonna squeal. I just finished the driver's side last night - 1 hour job. Did the passenger side last weekend, as I wanted to get the hard part done first - 5 hours of pounding, pulling etc.

I love it.

rstarch345 said:
Nor am I just a casual wheeler.

Then why are you even discussing "door hinge mods" on NAXJA?

Should you not be out wheelin' instead of telling us how great you are and how much you know about wheelin' Moab, Cana-duh, and everywhere else?

Just another "squealing kid" huh?

:rattle::D

I have started a half door set myself. I'm building a sub frame inside the door that will make it vary stout. This mod is simple and cheap. Driving on the street has the same feeling of freedom as a motorcycle does. With being doorless off road, sure oyu get dirty. If your not getting dirty off road then your not doing it right!!

Back