• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM Sheet metal....

dizzymac

NAXJA Forum User
While going in to Wally World the other day to get some brake fluid I noticed six XJ's in the parking lot. They ranged in age from 89' to 99'...all but the 99' had rust to some degree This got me thinking....so on my way out I looked for WJ's, found four of them ..93' thur 98'.....no visible rust. Yesterday I found four YJ's 90' thur 02'...one with rust.
Today I decided to look for ten, had to hit a few lots for this. tried to find ones close to each other in age, hard to do with WJ's but what I did notice was that about 80% of the XJ's were rusted, 10% of the WJ's and 20% of the YJ's.
Now I know this was not controlled or scientific in any way, shape or form, but I did find it funny that so many XJ's were rusted compared to the others. Makes me wonder where the sheet metal that they were stamped from came from or what process was skimped on.

Up north in the "rust belt", all vehicles that are not cleaned well and protected will do this. From the vehicles you found, you have no way of knowing their origin. The unrusted ones could have been transplanted from the south, or lived in a garage their whole lives.

Im in the process of fixing a rusted thru floor board in my 88 XJ....and Im in Texas..... THink it had more to do with a leaking firewall and water getting under the mop they called sound proofing/carpet.....Wished I would of caught it years ago.

Heck of a time finding/sealing up leaks

ptf18....you mean you are not going to replace the diaper like material under your carpet, but it did such a good job in killing noise....along with our floor pans....lol.

Back