• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine hesitates sometimes

BombThreat

NAXJA Forum User
When I bought the 1998 XJ it had sat probally 6-8months in a driveway. So i thought there was alot of water in the gas... So I put some drygas in and filled it up... Well 5 tanks later it will still hesitate mostly when the engine is just warming up...

And I did replace the cat and muffler thinking it was that... no help

Have the same problem on my '97. I see a thread on this once a week and no one ever seems to have a solid answer. Some say throttle position sensor. I've got two new oxygen sensors coming and if that doesn't do it a new TPS is next.

Has anyone actually had this problem and corrected it?

Okay, I am in the same bucket and with the Jeep jamboree around the corner, I am scrambling myself. So far things replaced have included.
1. Throttle body spin motor. (Sorry Dont Know The Real Name)
2. Spark Plugs
3. Fuel Filter
4. Spark Plug Wires
5. Fuel Pump
6. Catalytic Converter
7. O2 Sensor

My next step is the Throttle Position Sensor. I unplugged it today and my CEL came on but it stopped idling rough at startup.

It may sound kind of simple but have any of you cleaned your throttle body ?

i have the same problem with my '96 and the dealer checked the fuel system and said that it was all good. they just said i need to bring it in and let it set so it will do it for them. they dont know what it could be.

Back