• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 I6 wont start, doesnt hold an idle and when it does it idels at 500rpm. Sabatoge?

Plays For Jeeps

NAXJA Forum User
To make a long story short I have a group of ex-friends trying to mess with me. I made the mistake of calling them drunks and they took it personally. I had to call the police and they stopped. Then this happened this morning.

I drove about 30 miles this morning running errends and stuff. Then when I went to go to my brothers graduation the jeep cranks over but doesnt start unless you give it gas.

Last time this happened it was a loose sensor plug. I checked all the connections and such and tried again. It sounded alittle better but still wouldnt hold an idle.

I tried again and then gave it enough gas to hold it at 1000rpm's and when I let off the Rpm's went to 500 and it held a rough idle.

Then I shut it down and hitched a ride with my grandma to graduation.

Kill me.

Any ideas? Is it sugar in the gas tank? Sabotage? What happened?

Thanks guys!

Re: 96 I6 wont start, doesnt hold an idle and when it does it idels at 500rpm. Sabatoge?

Check the vac line from the throttle body to the MAP sensor located on the firewall, on my 89, the TB fitting would always wiggle loose and cause similar symptoms as you've described, until I added a dab of silicon....could be a random vac leak.

BTW, in order for your "friends" to sabotage your fuel or ignition system (there are many stealthy ways, btw:eyes: ) they would need access under your hood, which can't be opened easily without access to your interior hood lever.Unless they have a spare key or you leave your rig unlocked, it's not likely. A locking gas cap is another topic.......

Re: 96 I6 wont start, doesnt hold an idle and when it does it idels at 500rpm. Sabatoge?

^Oh dont worry. Im picking up a locking gas cap tonight.

Ill check those vac line tonight. Thanks!

Back