• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front End Rebuild Help Please

XJNewbeeA&PMech

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all.

I am in the middle of rebuilding the front end on my daughters 95XJ. I am doing this because it had a loud banging noise when I turned to the left at slow speeds and some front end shimmy felt throught the steering wheel at highway speeds. I was also getting a light clunking noise when I moved the steering wheel slightly to the left and right will sitting still.

While taking the jeep apart I found the reasons for the sounds. The one I have a question on is the light clunking noise. I have found that the sound is coming from the steering box itself. I've inspected the mount area and there are no cracks. With the tie rod disconnected I can grab the pitman arm and rock it left and right, in the same plain that it would move to steer the jeep. I get slight movement and this sound from inside the unit.

Has anybody else had this issue with there steering box? Is it warn or is there an adjustment I can do to remidy this?

Thank You

there is an adjustment nut on top but if you mess with it ive heard that only bad things come from it so id say go purchase a new one. they are about 220 with the core charge at autozone.

Look on here for the upgrade for the steering box off a dodge durango if you have to spring for a new one. Junk yards are also a good spot to find a replacement. Since it seems that you may have to replace it you might as well upgrade it for around the same price.

jack it up and grab the wheels at '12 and 6' check for back and forth play. if yo uhave it apart, do the ball joints, check the uni bearings, and do TRE's. HTH

The loud noise while turning left sounds like an axleshaft u-joint. The other noise turning l-r sounds like tracbar at axle end may be loose or worn.

In addition to checking the balljoints,TRE's etc check the hub bearings as well if this vehicle has alot of mileage on it.

The rig has 135K on it know. I just got it about 3k miles ago and put a 3" lift on it before I even got the plates for it to go on the road so I'm not sure if it made these noises before the lift or not.

The lift came with new lower control arms and bushing so those were changed. I also already replaced both front bearing packs when I put the lift on. The lift came with a track bar bracket to reposition the track bar to make up for the lift but that is getting replaced with an adjustable track bar this round along with the following:

New tie rods and tie rod ends.(from the pitman arm down)
2 new front axles (messed the left one up pressing out the u-joint which was factory installed)
4 new upper control arm bushings.

While I was at it a front brake job and a new bumper. The ball joints have no play in them what so ever and look newer (ie fresher boots) then what the tie rods had so I think they have been replaced in the past. Now it looks like I will have to replace the steering gear. I'm going to try and do the adjustments on it first and if it doesn't fix it I will replace it.

Thanks for the great info. Ill let you know how it turns out.

did you get it aligned? If not, do it your self, with a tapemeasurer, and an anglefinder+big socket.

Make sure the tires are being rotated and that no weights have flung off. Similar sound: could be the front d.s. cv. if all fails, pull it out and drive around for fun.

I have heard of very few steering box failures. The back and forth pop is most likely the trackbar and the turn noise is either an axle joint or the trackbar. Make sure you have tracked the noise before you spend on something that is not bad.

and be VERY careful with any adjustments to the box--small adjustment will turn into a big adjustment when it heats up! Two or three sharp turns can lead to no more turning at all if the adjustment is too much.
I know the fun of children is making them, but you certainly don't want to risk the loss for a couple hundred bucks.:roll:

--Shorty

"While taking the jeep apart I found the reasons for the sounds. The one I have a question on is the light clunking noise. I have found that the sound is coming from the steering box itself. I've inspected the mount area and there are no cracks. With the tie rod disconnected I can grab the pitman arm and rock it left and right, in the same plain that it would move to steer the jeep. I get slight movement and this sound from inside the unit."

Same conclusion I made the other day with the steering issue on my Jeep. Going to the junkyard to get a used steering box ($30). I've got about 1/4" - 1/2" of play side to side movement on the output shaft. It's been wheeled HARD, and is the original box w/ 230K miles

Back