• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bendix abs pump cycle

torfinn

NAXJA Forum User
I have the crappy bendix abs system on my 89. The pump and master cylinder was replaced under warranty 4 years ago. Now it has started to cycle the pump very often. I just need to touch the pedal and it comes on for a few seconds. When I started it this morning it ran may be 30 seconds even before I touched the brakes. It seems to me it doesnt hold pressure. So what can it be? The pump, the high pressure line or the accumulator.

Does the pump have a built in check valve?

I know I should have it swapped with a non abs system.

Regards

Torfinn

I have an 89, just like yours. One problem after another problem after another problem after another problem with the brakes. Left it in the hands of an expert(he has worked on these from 1984 to today). After working on it for two weeks. He threw his hands up in the air, what chance do you have? Change it out now and get it over with.:twak:

Dont know why you would take it to an "expert" when it has a lifetime replacement at the dealer of no charge.

Your system should run for about 30 seconds on start up to build up the inital pressure. And you system should cycle about every 5 times you compress the brakes. If you think there is a problem take it to the dealer and have the parts replaced and inspected. Its free so how can you go wrong??? My system works perfectly fine...... but then again I eliminated the ABS portion but still running all the pumps and such

It used to cycle about every 5 times I press the brakes. Now it cycle every time, and even when the car is idling in park. I think it should hold pressure for a long time. When it doesnt should I look for leaks? There arent any dealers where I live. (it is a 2,5 hour drive).

Torfinn

Back