• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel gauge

Hollowpoint

NAXJA Forum User
I know...use the search button and I did but I just wanted a more updated answer if there even is one. Question is I went on a little trip past couple of days went 80miles, mostly highway. Started on a full tank and its a little below Full now. Is that correct or is the gauge messed up? It just seems like that is wrong since before I had to refill at about 44miles and that was close to half(1/2). What you think?

You need to figure out you gas mileage by MPG. The right way to do that is when you fill the tank, write down the mileage on the odometer. When you fill up next time, write down the mileage again, then subtract from last mileage to get how many miles you drove. Then divide this number by how many gallons you put in the tank. Make sure you fill the tank full everytime.

This will tell you how many MPG you are getting, and you'll know if there is something wrong with your jeep.

Regards,

SimpleXJ

It can vary a lot depending on the pump and nozzle and the temperature, and whether or not you top off after the pump shuts off. XJ's, especially older ones, can often take a lot of extra gas after the nozzle clicks. Usually if you get the tank good and full it will take a while before the gauge starts to drop. Do as simplexj suggests, but for best results, average the reading over several tanks, and if possible fill at the same pump each time, without topping up.

Alright, Ill have to start writing down the overall mileage when I go. But should I go until the tank is completly empty or just half full? I always fill up when its at half way mark.

Also RichP: Its a 1998

Hollowpoint said:
Alright, Ill have to start writing down the overall mileage when I go. But should I go until the tank is completly empty or just half full? I always fill up when its at half way mark.

Also RichP: Its a 1998

Well known for factory OEM sending units bad on the fuel pump. Had a recall for them in 97. Mine was built in Sept of 97 as a 98 model year. Mines been bad since 6 months after I got it but it was hidden by the intermittant gauge problem.

RichP said:
Well known for factory OEM sending units bad on the fuel pump. Had a recall for them in 97. Mine was built in Sept of 97 as a 98 model year. Mines been bad since 6 months after I got it but it was hidden by the intermittant gauge problem.

How would I find out when mine was built? and How much would it cost to correct the problem if there is one?

Hollowpoint said:
How would I find out when mine was built? and How much would it cost to correct the problem if there is one?

You can get a printout with your VIN from the dealer. Mine was on my window sticker when I bought it, built in sep97.
There are two ways, one is to get the fuel pump assembly with the sender and that runs about $260 or so last time I checked, drop your tank and replace it. Make sure the new pump has a new sender.

RichP said:
You can get a printout with your VIN from the dealer. Mine was on my window sticker when I bought it, built in sep97.
There are two ways, one is to get the fuel pump assembly with the sender and that runs about $260 or so last time I checked, drop your tank and replace it. Make sure the new pump has a new sender.

huh...thats quite a bit of money:wow: It seems that it might be right again. It dropped after my mini trip to day, not much but it is going down. But before it was suggested to find the MPG. Do I have to drive till pretty much on empty or what?

I ran mine till empty to find how many gallons my 87' holds (gallon in gas can). To answer your question is no, you don't need to let it go. but it helps to get a better avg..

Harlee&Tahoe said:
I ran mine till empty to find how many gallons my 87' holds (gallon in gas can). To answer your question is no, you don't need to let it go. but it helps to get a better avg..

alright cause I dont want to take the chance of it reading wrong and it goes empty and having to deal with all that

I had the bad sending unit problem on my '97. I would have a full tank of gas and the gauge would be past F. The a few miles later the gas light would come on and it would be past E, sometimes it would just go to half a tank or be reasonably accurate. I took it to the place I bought it and he had me take it to a dealership and I had the work done for free under the recall. So, is that recall for '97s only?

Hollowpoint said:
huh...thats quite a bit of money:wow: It seems that it might be right again. It dropped after my mini trip to day, not much but it is going down. But before it was suggested to find the MPG. Do I have to drive till pretty much on empty or what?

I don't even look at the gauge anymore, I drive by trip odometer, my TJ's do the same thing, very annoying..

For checking mileage it really doesn't matter how far you drive it between fills as long as you fill it the same amount and get the mileage each time. 100 miles on four gallons is the same as 400 on 16. For checking the gauge itself it's handy to fill it and then drive it as far as you think is safe before filling, just to see how the gauge behaves, whether the light comes on at the right time, etc. Carry a can when it gets near the end of the tank, and you can experiment a little more easily.

Back