• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dodge Axles in XJ?

terryd

NAXJA Forum User
got a lineup on a good deal for a D44/9.25 out of a 99 Ram 1500. 4.10's and locked on both ends.... good prices, he's going one tons. how hard is it to put this setup in an XJ? just use the existing brackets or weld on Xj brackets?? or is this another :twak: idea?

The rear should be pretty simple, just weld on new shock mounts and spring perches, hook up the brakes and get a new rear driveshaft or a conversion u joint. As far as the front, you will need to make new brackets either on your jeep or on the axle, depending on which front suspension setup you use. This is assuming that the front is drivers side drop, I am not sure about dodges on that one.

I would love to see some pics on this swap. If it is an easy swap, then I would love to do it on mine.

Look up Yellowxj...I didn't follow his build thread closely, but i am pretty sure he did this....

The late model Dodge’s really should not be in consideration for a swap because they are lacking in two critical areas that are usually desirable to XJers. They have no provision to move the steering up to the top of the knuckle “high steer”, and they have no lockout hubs. They use a vacuum disconnect familiar to the early XJ’s. They also have little aftermarket support as far as axleshafts, etc.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=52219&highlight=dana+44+tech

terryd said:
got a lineup on a good deal for a D44/9.25 out of a 99 Ram 1500. 4.10's and locked on both ends.... good prices, he's going one tons. how hard is it to put this setup in an XJ? just use the existing brackets or weld on Xj brackets?? or is this another :twak: idea?
Are you getting these axles from Peter? If so, then the rear should be fine but that front one has seen better days. Both are still in good working condition but you might want to spend some TLC on the front one to make sure it is OK both inside and out.

I got nothing against Peter but having worked on that front axle many times, I know that I would rather have the axle out of a waggy.

Last edited:
I want the knuckles off the front.
Lack of lockout hubs? BS thats a desirable feature. ever heard of drive flanges that eleminate the problematic lockout hubs. We all drive XJ's with front lockers without the need for lockout hubs. The guys that are building big axles for the hammers are building true hi9's with Dodge Ram D60 outers. CTM makes stub shafts for em. Tera makes high steer knuckles for em. they have 33 spline stub shafts that are HUGE. I was just at CTM the other day talking to Jack about em... can't afford them right now but 300Mshafts! Not cheap but truly bulletproof.
I want that Dodge D44 front. or better yet, the knuckles, stubs, bearings and brakes. all the outer stuff. I'd pay to have someone pull it appart for me and ship all the outer stuff to me in a UPS box. throw the housing and gears and inner shafts in the trash.
as for Lack of high steer. well, you can at least do over the arm inverted wye to make up a little bit of clearance. i'm building my center housing right now and I want to run the dodge D44 stuff.
33 spline inners, CTM's and 33 spline outers. My front axle should laugh at the 37" Creepy's its getting and even make a 40" creepy shudder.
PM me if its a good deal on that front axle.

Back