• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacement of the cps ?'s

Strictly.Offroad

NAXJA Forum User
I tested my cps it is bad. I need to replace it but I've checked with my chiltons and it just says to unbolt and rebolt. It is an 88 with the 4.0, AW4, np242 (broken in two :( ouch it doesn't like big rocks w/ no skid.). Don't know what specific infor is needed for wiring or where things are. I have been told that I might have to lower the tranny to get to it. Is that true? I need to replace it because my truck will not start. Please HELP!

Sits on top of the bell housing at approximately 11:00. If you crawl under and look you can see it. Getting to it is another matter. About 18 inches of 1/4 drive extensions with a wobble adaptor will get you there. (On my 90) the wiring was about centered in the firewall and just kind of went down the back along the firewall to the thing. Don't drop any screws into the bell housing, according to others you will have to remove the tranny to get them out. A little chewing gum or some such to hold them in the socket.... It's only 2 screws, it's not impossible, but sure looks that way. Have patience and be careful.

Do a search for more info....

Good to have a helper from above. Mine talked me down while I attempted it.
It's not too bad really, and I am no expert mechanic.
Crawl under head in behind the drivers side tire with an 11mm and as stated here, around 12-18 inches of extension. I used 3/8 drive but yeah 1/4 would be nicer.
The worst part is installing the new one.
As mentioned, be very careful to not drop the top bolt.
I just removed a spare from my Uncle's '90 which is sitting on 6 inches of packed leaves. (used a jack for that one)
And do follow the advice about notching out the new one....
Had a good day with the Uncle's '90 today.
I got the ECU, cruise module, cruise vacuum/throttle assembly, fuel rail, injectors, air filter, CPS, coolant temp sensor,MAP sensor, TPS, coolant tank, MAS, idle motor. I came home a happy man...

Once the bolts are loose you can actually grab them from the top through the engine bay and unscrew them. If i remember correctly i couldn't see a damn thing so it was all by feel to get them out and re-started.

Back