• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'95 cheroke blown head gasket

EBXJ510

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to buy a '95 cherokee with a 3.5" RE lift, and 32's.
But its got a blown head gasket. what would be a cheap way to fix this?
Dose that SteelSeal stuff work?
thanks, Ethan.

Not sure how cheap is cheap, but I was able to get a valve job gasket set from one of the online chrysler parts dealers (OEM mopar gaskets) for about $75 and it had everything in it - head gasket, intake/exhause, egr, thermostat, throttle body, even the ccv tube. Didn't have a valve cover gasket, though, got it at NAPA. That was almost what just the head gasket was everywhere else.

While you've got the head off, you really should take it to a shop and have it magnafluxed and/or pressure tested to make sure it isn't cracked.

The rest is all labor, not a terribly hard or lengthy job - you'll probably need some help to pull that long hunk of head off the block.

If the head bolts have been reused already (should have paint on them if they have, don't use them again. Go to headbolts.com and get a new set.

Assuming the head isn't cracked or a valve seat burned, you should be able to finish it up for under $200.

My 96 had a "blown head gasket" that turned out to be a cracked head and block. I had another engine ready to drop in, so it wasn't a biggie, but always assume the worse and you might get lucky.

Back