• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 Disco verses Non-Disco

grisham101

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 89 D30 with the vacuum disconnect. Would I be better off getting a D30 without the disconnect, and upgrading everything down the road to stronger pieces, or will my unit with the disconnect hold up, and just put a plate over that part, and install 1 piece axle shafts? I know if I went to the manual locking hubs, it can remove the disconnect, but I'm just stumped.

I know my jeep will have at least 35's on it, so i'm looking to have some beefy components under my jeep.

Thanks in advance

My first question is what do you plain to do with your XJ if you are gona pound on it the weak spot is at the disco. There is no need for manual hubs the conversions are not as strong as factory hubs and with 35s you will replace them often. The d30 can handle a 35 if you are easy on it but for the money you are talking with replacement to a non disco and a hub kit you can upgrade to a d44 and not have to worry about it.

The disco assembly's have a solid, cast UCA mount on the passenger side; much stronger than the non-disco stamped steel UCA mount. As far as the disco assembly being weaker due to the disco housing, I don't think the difference, if any, is meaningful. The D30 itself, disco or not, is not up to the abuse that would test the differences between them. IMO, if you are on a budget, but want to run 35's with some sort of front locker, keep your disco and upgrade your axle u-joints to the latter "297" size by installing late model axle shafts. I don't really know what this entails, but from what I've read, the upgrade is bolt-on. I'm of the impression that the later model Wranglers with disco will fit your '89, giving you the larger u-joints, while retaining the disco function.

You can throw 1 peice axles in, lots of guys do. If you're going to 35's, throw some alloy's in, chuck the servo motor and block off the disco. At a minimum throw 297 shafts in with full clips. Everyone I've seen break a shaft has had the clip come off, the cap walk out and then blam. Best insurance is a set of stocker shafts with alloy's in the housing. Or alloy spares too, but that starts to really cost $$$. I'm on 297 shafts and will be going to alloy's, and the 297's will replace my small u-joint trail spares.

Back