• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 outer bearing tech

zacattack

NAXJA Forum User
Replacing outer axles seals on an XJ D44. I know about cutting off the old bearing and pressing on the new one, but I'm not sure what to do with the race pressed into the axle tube. How do I remove the race or whatever the bearing rides on that is pressed into the axle tube? (I assume this needs to be done) Thanks a bunch!

yep, slide hammer.
you can use the old race to set the new one if you don't have seal/race driver kit.

Great! Thanks. So should i just use the old race and a BFH to pound the new race in the tube, or is there a better way?

The way that I was taught to do it is to cut off the old bearing retainer ring, press off the old bearing (don't have to be careful, just destroy it, it's coming off) and then press on the new bearing. Then you heat up the new bearing retainer ring, try to drop it on...and sometimes it will go, but sometimes you have to press it on a bit too. Then you're done.

There are instructions on how to do this when you buy the new bearings...which come with the retainer ring.

Back