• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering box brace

krawler

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking into getting a steering box brace. What one is everybody running?

So far the M.O.R.E. looks the best. The Omix-Ada and Warrior look like junk. Thoughts?

i bought the Omix-Ada tow hooks and regret it already. first time i tried to pull someone out, going straight back, it bent the steel on one of the brackets. i think they use weak steel or something....

EDIT: what I meant by that is that they probably use the same material, especially since its the same area, so I bet their steering box brace is weak too....

Last edited:
I would go with a frame style brace over the box brace such as the M.O.R.E if you are only planning on doing only one or the other. I went with the T&T steering box reinforcment system and wouldnt hesitate to buy it again. Other frame style steering box braces are C Rok and JKS. But if you have the cash I would do both styles.

I planed on running the JKS plates on both front frame rails or the C-rok, a box brace and my Full Traction trac bar brace on it. Kind of over kill. LOL

krawler said:
I planed on running the JKS plates on both front frame rails or the C-rok, a box brace and my Full Traction trac bar brace on it. Kind of over kill. LOL

I wouldnt call that overkill, I would call that piece of mind! :cheers:

Running the C-Rok inner and a homemade 1/4" outer plate which is part of my winch bumper brace. BEEFY is an understatement.

I'm running a m.o.r.e brace.Have been curious as too how much reinforcment it actually provides(haven't really wheeled much since I put it on).Has anyone had any cracking problems while running this type of brace?
It seems like everyone is quick to recommend the c-rock style brace over the type I mentioned....does anyone actually have proof that the more type brace will let your frame crack??

Thinking of keeping the more and running a c-rock type also but don't know if I should go with an inside or outside plate in conjunction with the clamp on more brace??

My problem with running the outer plate is my winch bumper.The "horn" goes back to where the outer frame plate goes and is in the way?
Sorry for the hi-jack....but since we're on the subject....

Last edited:
My front bumper mounts double as "frame" plates and I also have the M.O.R.E. brace.Been beating the hell out of it for years with no problems.

outlander said:
So you have the more brace on the inside and a plate on the outside....no inside plating,correct?

Any pics?

I run the Rigidco front winch bumper that has the outer plate like the C-Rok as well as the MORE brace plus the inner metal (not aluminum) inner bracket. If you are planning on installing the MORE and/or C-Rok its not much more to throw in that inner plate. When you install the C-rok outer plate that lousy aluminum plate falls out anyways so you might as well have a "complete" setup from C-rok (can't think of anybody else that makes the inner plate not out of aluminum-maybe TNT). If you ever think of a new bumper (winch bumper) make sure it has the outer plates that extends out like the C-rok on both sides-on the Rigidco bumper I had to drill an extra hole on the passenger side to include the MORE plate-so with the plates on either side of the "frame", C-ROK/Rigidco's front bulkhead plate, MORE brace and inner plate=OVERKILL and piece of mind.

With the two braces I'm going to be running fron the driverside to the passangerside. I'm think I'll be going with the JKS plates for both frame rails. It'll only beef up the passanger side when I build a winch bumper. It's not like overkill is a bad thing.

dellstopjeep said:
isthat c-rok brac hard to install?
It has been called a cake, but not by me. It was a PITA because the PS fluid kept dripping in my face. Only worked on a couple of XJ steering boxes and all have leaked in my face while under them. It made getting the bolts started a real bear. I have read stories of crossthreaded bolts and did NOT want that problem so was super careful there. I did one thing that was not mentioned in the C-Rok instructions. I bought longer grade 8 bolts and they stuck out past the steering box so I put a locktited nut on the engine side of the box to insure that they do not back out of there without my doing it.
All in all I think it was a difficult job but worth the effort.

outlander said:
I'm running a m.o.r.e brace.Have been curious as too how much reinforcment it actually provides(haven't really wheeled much since I put it on).Has anyone had any cracking problems while running this type of brace?
It seems like everyone is quick to recommend the c-rock style brace over the type I mentioned....does anyone actually have proof that the more type brace will let your frame crack??
orig.jpg

Back