• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2in snorkle??

Run-IT-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched and searched and can't find anyone who talks about a home-made snorkle of 2" pvc.

Is that due to it being to small or would it be ok? Thanks for the quick help!

~Josh~

If I decided not to go with a snorkel, what would be another way water\mudd-proof my intake? (without loosing my ABS!!!)

I don't normally smash throught puddles but i went out the first night I bought the truck and hit a few holes for some giggles...(It was my first ride in my new toy you shore do know i was smiling from eare to ear ) and when I check on the intake and it already had some mudd and water at the bottomof the box.

So what can I do if I decided NOT to run a snorkle?

Thanks

do a cowl snorkle(do a search on the subject)...I love mine!My fording depth is over the hood up to the wiper cowl!!All the parts can be had at your local walmarts or anywhere that sells rv sewer line parts.I think mine ran me around $40.00....
I beleive that anyone that wheels in the mud or water should have some kind of snorkle just for insurance.Jeep put the intake in a really bad spot.....

Last edited:
Thanks for the help, but looking at my xj, I don't have that hole in my fire wall. My master cylinder and abs are right there!?!

Is there somewhere els to run it?

you have to get a hole saw bit and drill the hole(if you decide to go with round hose).....did you read the link go-jeep posted?That one used a dremel to cut the hole because it's not round.

What about rain?I would think driving it in rain,that would be sucked up.I do need a system,but I too don't want to add a snorkle.Thanks

fishfighter said:
What about rain?I would think driving it in rain,that would be sucked up.I do need a system,but I too don't want to add a snorkle.Thanks

i drove through practically a monsoon with mine last week and had no problems.

Home made ones that are external look pretty bad in my opinion and end up looking like this one!
http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j44/simplehassle/
You should have a form of water separation which is done on the commercial ones in the ram head itself. Should at aleast face it backwards otherwise.

How come I see so many videos of jeeps smashing through water and mudd and they have no form of protection aginst hydrolock??

How much water can you actually take in befor you should become concerned?

Run-IT-XJ said:
How come I see so many videos of jeeps smashing through water and mudd and they have no form of protection aginst hydrolock??

A teaspoon worth will kill a diesel and a table spoon a petrol. Dont think I would go testing that out though but just the considered level. So doesn't take much at all. I cross rivers up to the windscreen wihtout problem so far but use a blind to create a air pocket and source my air from the top of the firewall. The electrics would have stopped the engine BEFORE any water got into the intake is what I work on.

1998-21.jpg

1998-22.jpg

Trailer actually was floating above when the water came up to the windscreen in the same spot the Jeep was in in the first photo.

1998-7.jpg

1998-8.jpg

More on the same trip driving up to the most northern tip of Australia.

Run-IT-XJ said:

uhhh none...remember water doesn't compress!!

Thanks to everyone!! This was my first question on this forum and it was probly an old question but no one complained or b*tched, all my questions were answered with reasonable timing and with photos when necessary
I jut want to thank everyone again and I'm sicked to finily find a half decant forum.

~Josh~

I was told, not yet confirmed, that PVC was/is illegal to use on a road vehicle.
So far I have not looked into the legallity, but some states are more strict than others.
Just my $.02

XJ4PLAY said:
I was told, not yet confirmed, that PVC was/is illegal to use on a road vehicle.
So far I have not looked into the legallity, but some states are more strict than others.
Just my $.02
I've never heard that. Does anyone know why it would be illegal?

I have used pvc piping on exhaust for inboard race boats with no problems. I am talking about 500hp+ 350's,wet exhaust.Every little bit of weight helps.Now,paint will not hold up on it over time.

snow580 said:
I've never heard that. Does anyone know why it would be illegal?

The reason given, and again I have NOT verified this, was that in an accident it would slinter and become a hazard. Also, that it was not D.O.T approved for street use or maybe not D.O.T. approved because of that reason.

Back