• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC charge woes... please help!

darjevon

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I finally replaced every leaking component and seal in my AC system, 1999 XJ R134. Anyway, it now holds good vacuum. So, I vaccuumed it out to -29, waited a half hour, then dumped in 2 cans with... 11oz refrigerant, 2.5 oz PAG, 1 oz. "cool down additive" and a red dye. I replaced the accumulator and condenser and all hoses, so I figured I probably lost more like 4 oz than 5, but I figured it would be fine.

Now, it works. But, at full blast cooling, it gets pressures of 50 low, ~320-340 high. This seems insane. It was around 90 degrees F as I charged it. The low side line is sweating like crazy, and the high side line is too hot to touch. The compressor is also being loud, i believe as a consequence. The thing says it takes 1.25 lbs of r134, and I put in 22 oz. Could this extra 2 ounces plus a possibly slightly diminished system capacity due to the extra oil be causing these issues? I am delighted that it works and is fairly cold, but the noise from the compressor is incredibly annoying and Im worried for the health of my system. Can anyone help me out here?

According to my '01 FSM @ 90 degrees lo side should be 38-47psi and hi side 250-300psi. If the temp goes to 100 degrees, lo side =44-53psi and hi side =270-340 psi. Sounds like you are in the ball park. If your A/C hasn't been working for a while, you might have forgotten how a fully charged system sounds. I suppose if you thought it was a little noisy you could 'ahem' recover a little of the 134a from the system and see if the #'s (and sound) go down to your liking.

well I let some out and now the pressures are in range, but it is rumbling strong! Like the noise is extremely noticeable. However it does blow cold. So I'll just wait until I hear clanking, hissing, or shrapnel, then replace the compressor. Thanks for the reply.

That noise could be the compressor clutch bearing going out if you are lucky, otherwise get ready to :bawl:when compressor wipes out the rest of the A/C system and throws metal shavings into the parts you just spent all that money on. If that happens don't bother trying to flush the metal shavings out of the evaporator or condensor, just replace everything or a few shavings will get past the flush and eat the next compressor.

Back