• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny line and gauge question...Yes I already searched

pma4x4

NAXJA Forum User
Ok

96 XJ 4.0 Fresh rebuilt AW4, New aluminm radiator.

I am installing a B&M temp gauge and a Aux tranny cooler.

B&M says tranny cooler goes like this
[FONT=&quot]Tranny -- >[/FONT][FONT=&quot] radiator -->[/FONT][FONT=&quot] trans cooler -->[/FONT][FONT=&quot] back to tranny

the gauge goes like this
Tranny cooler -- > Gauge -- > tranny

The rear line on the tranny is the lower line on the radiator. so wich line is the return? I have gotten conflicting info.

any help
[/FONT]

Hey, just unhook'em both, put lengths of 3/8" hose on them with the other ends in a bucket and tick the starter a time or two. You'll quickly find out which is pushing and which is sucking. This is an easy way to flush'em with new fluid also. Drain off two quarts, add 2. drain 2, add 2 until you've added about 10.

Who rebuilt your trannie for you and for what general cost? What were the symptoms that required a rebuild? I'm in Gilbert and am always looking for quality services. Your setup sounds great. Good luck!!

Last edited:
Yeah i just did that.

top line is pressure INTO radiator.

top line = tranny -- > radiator
bottom line = Radiator -- > tranny

and for my 96 AW4
top line on radiator is front line on tranny
bottom lin on radiator is back line on tranny.

either way this means i spliced into the wrong line. I would have always thought you would want the temp gauge to read what was coming out of the tranny that way you can tell if something is going wrong.

The engine temp is not on the ingoing side its on the outgoing.

ritorical
If i want to know the temp of the sun do i take a reading off the surface of the earth?

Rob Abel said:
Who rebuilt your trannie for you and for what general cost? What were the symptoms that required a rebuild? I'm in Gilbert and am always looking for quality services. Your setup sounds great. Good luck!!

AAron's transmission on University and Dobson in Mesa. I also had them put some better clutches and bands in. They do race trannys to so you know its not just some schmuck reading out of a FSM to rebuild.

1 year unlimited mileage and they know what i was going to be doing with mine. They told me to install the gauge coming out of the tranny so you see how hot the tranny is and not how cool the fluid is.

I think it ran me around $1,850 that included the beefier clutches and bands, new converter and valve body.

You can put that temp guage anywhere you want to....depending on what you want to know. Do you want the temp of the fluid coming out of the tranny, the fluid going into the tranny, or the fluid in the transmission pan? Whichever you choose you have to consider the location when looking at recommended transmission temperatures.

Personally, I like to know the temp of the fluid coming out of the transmission prior to cooling it even though that's not what the B&M directions say.

Back