• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ruff Stuff Shock Mounts for 8.8

Cipey

NAXJA Forum User
i am installing my ruff stuff simple xj 8.8 kit to my axle and the small axle mounts have me scratching my head. i know the general area to weld them to the tube, BUT if i put them in the stock location perpendicular (sp?) to the shaft wont my shock bottom out because of the limited shock travel?
or should i just use my old mounts off my 8.25 and leave the underhang? does anyone have a picture or a place where i can d/load instructions or photos? i'd rather not use the old mounts, but i don't want to f^ck it up either.

help!!!!

cipey

ps got the 4.56 yukons gears installed in the 8.8, new back plates, rotors, calipers and pads.....its looking great...monday i will get to work on my d30...can't wait to roll....its gonna be pissah!!!!

not sure what it will be like on the 8.8, but I did the RuffStuff double shear shock mounts which are much smaller thant the stock mounts on the 8.25.
I had OME shocks all ready to go on, than realized they wouldn't fit (too long) because I raised the mounts about 6" from stock. SO I would guess that you are getting more downtravel, but loosing some uptravel if your using the same shocks as before this mod.
If your putting mounts on higher than stock (axle mounts that is) than your gaining usuable down travel. Your problem maybe that the shocks will compress too much and yes that would be a problem.
Mount the shocks, compress one side of the suspension and see if the shocks will fit ok.
Hopefully someone with a better idea of whats needed to help you will chime in, could be I am back asswards in my advice.

What mounts came with your kit!I bought a set of these from M.O.R.E.
05.jpg

and a set of these from JKS
p_ogs922.jpg

I ended up modifying the MORE's to not only move them up some but out!I couldnt get the JKS's to work out with my shocks!
shock%20mount.jpg

I used the Ruff stuff kit but by the time I fiddled with those mounts that came with the kit they were useless. If you are going to try and use them don't put them on until the axel is under the jeep. Then grind and fit them to an angle that will allow the shock to mount up and not bind. It was an easy decition for me to buy different shock mount's because I wanted to use a longer shock than they allowed and mine were butched by then. I used over the counter mounts from Four wheel parts wholesaler and I think they were Steel Horse brand. They moved the shock away from the location of the Ruff mounts and gave me plenty of length to grind them down to fit on an angle I liked. If I had to recomend I'd do the M.O.R.E mounts like RCP Phx or call Ruff Stuff and ask WTF. The rest of the Ruff stuff kit is great still making it the best kit. When I bought my kit they didn't even advertise the mounts were in the kit but they just throw them in.

Just caught this post.......

The shock brackets we add are free, we discount the kit and add them, mounting them should never be an issue? They are a top of the axle style and not meant to replicate the stock position on an XJ, to improve on the stock position and add strength, and eliminate single shear, the sidemount brackets work great, they have plenty of room for the stock style 1.5" wide standard shock eye and work with a trapped nut (welded). call me if you have any questions. Thanks

Dan Fredrickson
www..ruffstuffspecialties.com

wishihad1 said:
how do you like the rest of the kit so far. i ordered mine about a week ago

the other stuff is great......no problems what so ever....i spoke to dan from ruff stuff and he told me the sent me the wrong mounts. and he was sending me the correct ones as i write this..i was thinking of of just ordering new ones like the ones above from m.o.r.e. and saving the ruff stuff mounts for something else. i am sure i will find a use for them sooner or later.

Back