• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Good, The BAD, The Ugly!!!

DelmarvaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to get as many opinions about the following three lift kits as possible, so I can make my own opinion about the companies...... I'm looking at the RE 5.5" LA kit, Rusty's 6.5" LA or SA kit, and the Rough Country 6.5" SA kit. The prices range by as much as $550, so the price is'nt that big of a deal. I just want to hear from people that have personal experience with each of these companies, I want to hear everything you have to say about each, good or bad. Yes I know there are companies like BDS that make a really good kit, and if I saved a little more I probably would get there 6.5" LA kit, but I wanted to hear from you guys.....thanks

BDS? umm... that wouldnt even make my top 10 list...

Not to be mean or anything since you're new but use the Search function.. there's 100's of threads about these lift systems..

With that being said, I'd run RE over the other two any day...

ALSO, if you're not weighted down much (winch, bumpers, cage, etc.) then the RE 5.5 is going to give you around 7" or so probably...

Finally, what's the plans for your jeep... tire size, terrain, etc?

EDIT: what bad about their LA kit? I think the x-member could use some work but RE's arms are huge... and if I'm not mistaken it's probably the #1 selling LA kit for the TJ..

Last edited:
uncc civilengineer said:
BDS? umm... that wouldnt even make my top 10 list...

Not to be mean or anything since you're new but use the Search function.. there's 100's of threads about these lift systems..

With that being said, I'd run RE over the other two any day...

ALSO, if you're not weighted down much (winch, bumpers, cage, etc.) then the RE 5.5 is going to give you around 7" or so probably...

Finally, what's the plans for your jeep... tire size, terrain, etc?

EDIT: what bad about their LA kit? I think the x-member could use some work but RE's arms are huge... and if I'm not mistaken it's probably the #1 selling LA kit for the TJ..

I wanted some type of a review on each of the kits, most people have reviews on the 4.5" kits and I could'nt find much(but I might not of looked in the right place), but I plan only plan on hitting the sand dunes, and a little mud as well as snow. I don't plan on rock crawling, I also plan on running 33x12.5 tires on a 15x10 rim. I would like to keep it streetable for daily driving, I keep hearing that RE LA's get bent from hitting rocks, which I won't be doing. But I like the design of rusty's LA kit, but I hear there bushing wear out very quickly. I hear mix reviews of all of rough country's kits, but I doubt those people actually had a kit from RC, word of mouth goes a long way.......

RCP Phx said:

That's nice that you still remember me, but all that thread was, was a big arguement. Everyone always argues over how their kit is the best and everyone else's kit sucks, like a bunch of teenagers.... So did it answer my questions, a little bit, but I thought I'd still ask. So I guess if you don't have anything to add to the thread, then don't. Yes I know where the "BIG SEARCH BUTTON" is, I've used it plenty of times.

BlackJax said:
http://tandjperformance.com/products-suspension-jeepspeed.htm#prerunnerkit

Good kit and it addresses a lot of other factors you'll eventually contend with in the dunes.

Edit: for some reason the link doesn't work as planned. Scroll down to the Prerunner Kit. ;)

Thanks for the reply, that kit sounds real nice, but comes with options I don't need. I'm assuming if I called them, they might be able to put a kit together for me. Probably expensive though, most places are that have "call for prices", if it's less than the BDS 6.5" LA kit, then it's in my price range.

DelmarvaXJ said:
I wanted some type of a review on each of the kits, most people have reviews on the 4.5" kits and I could'nt find much(but I might not of looked in the right place), but I plan only plan on hitting the sand dunes, and a little mud as well as snow. I don't plan on rock crawling, I also plan on running 33x12.5 tires on a 15x10 rim. I would like to keep it streetable for daily driving, I keep hearing that RE LA's get bent from hitting rocks, which I won't be doing. But I like the design of rusty's LA kit, but I hear there bushing wear out very quickly. I hear mix reviews of all of rough country's kits, but I doubt those people actually had a kit from RC, word of mouth goes a long way.......

Ok, RE LA's getting bent from rocks.. lol that's pretty funny

Next, Rusty's to me.. well I just dont like it..

Rough Country is just that rough..

33x12.50's on a 15x10 rim, why 10" rim? Most run 8", the 10" will tend to lose the bead much quicker.

Also I'm assuming you're not planning on cutting your jeep or have any concern for a low center of gravity... B/C I've ran 33's on RE's 3.5" SF kit just fine... Im currently running 36" bias Iroks on about 6" of lift..

The lifts you have listed are going to net around 7" and well 33's my look good (un cut) but it's just too tall in my book.

Also, a lot of the info you're posting is way off... where are you hearing this stuff? BDS is a good lift? RE arms bending from rocks? Wierd stuff.. :eyes:

EDIT:
IF you're hitting the dunes, I'd keep it low, run hydraulic bumpstops and nice resevoir shocks (Fox, Bilstein). Tall lift and 33's sounds like flop material to me at high speeds in the sand..

Also, you have to think about the other components you're going to need with a lift that tall, SYE, DS, etc.

Last edited:
uncc civilengineer said:

33x12.50's on a 15x10 rim, why 10" rim? Most run 8", the 10" will tend to lose the bead much quicker.

Also I'm assuming you're not planning on cutting your jeep or have any concern for a low center of gravity... B/C I've ran 33's on RE's 3.5" SF kit just fine... Im currently running 36" bias Iroks on about 6" of lift..

The lifts you have listed are going to net around 7" and well 33's my look good (un cut) but it's just too tall in my book.

Also, a lot of the info you're posting is way off... where are you hearing this stuff? BDS is a good lift? RE arms bending from rocks? Wierd stuff.. :eyes:
Where are you hearing BDS is a bad lift? I don't think I've ever seen a thread where someone just outright hated theirs. Mine has served me well, but I'll admit if I did it over I'd buy RE (just for the stuff you get for the price), but that doesn't mean it's not a good lift.

I am not going to bag on other companies. I will say that there are a lot of people running the RE lifts. I have had a few different RE set-ups, all have been short arms.

I think you may be going about it a little differently than possible. You shoudl determine what type of wheeling you will do (I saw your post, just getting the flow started), determine your driving style, determine your budget, decide if you can/will do the install yourself, determine wheel/tire size = re-gear and lockers, need of SYE and drivshafts.

From what I can gather, you can run either a 4 to 5" short-arm or you can spring the extra cash and do a long arm. Form what I have read, the RE and the TNT seem to have the better reviews. I personally am not certain why someone would run long-arms for 5 inches of lift and moderate wheeling. Anyways, the stance mentioned in the other thread with the picture (BDS comments) is easily obtained with any lift. But stance is nto what is about. Functionality and reliability!

Sure, any of the kits mentioned will get you the lift you want. I know many folks that are running the RE 4.5" and 5.5" short arm kits. they all net at least 5" of lift and run 33 and 35" tires.

I gues my point is, everyone has an opinion, and there is no exact, correct answer for you. There is alot of experience and knowledge here, so take it all in and make your decision.

Good Luck!

uncc civilengineer said:

EDIT:
IF you're hitting the dunes, I'd keep it low, run hydraulic bumpstops and nice resevoir shocks (Fox, Bilstein). Tall lift and 33's sounds like flop material to me at high speeds in the sand..

Also, you have to think about the other components you're going to need with a lift that tall, SYE, DS, etc.

Exactly. Which is why I recommended the T&J system (notice I said "system"). He needs to address a lot of issues if he plans to do any prerunnin'. There is no way an XJ without a decent cage and a lot of reinforcement will survive high speed desert racing style driving very long.

Just buying a lift kit isn't going to do a darn thing for him. He would be better of spending his money on reinforcement (trusses, cage, sleeves, tie-ins, gussets, etc). ;)

I recommend searching on JeepSpeed Forum and looking at some of the other prerunner XJs to see what route they went. Most are running FT's kit or a customized kit with quality shocks like Sway-Aways or Bilstein 7100+.

why does my heep ride so nice? i have a rc 6.5 lift, dam thing rides better now, maybe i know how to install that kit... don't know.. i have put alot of these on for friends, now i got the heep bug because of them.
89 black with 33s

rpraterxj said:
I am not going to bag on other companies. I will say that there are a lot of people running the RE lifts. I have had a few different RE set-ups, all have been short arms.

I think you may be going about it a little differently than possible. You shoudl determine what type of wheeling you will do (I saw your post, just getting the flow started), determine your driving style, determine your budget, decide if you can/will do the install yourself, determine wheel/tire size = re-gear and lockers, need of SYE and drivshafts.

From what I can gather, you can run either a 4 to 5" short-arm or you can spring the extra cash and do a long arm. Form what I have read, the RE and the TNT seem to have the better reviews. I personally am not certain why someone would run long-arms for 5 inches of lift and moderate wheeling. Anyways, the stance mentioned in the other thread with the picture (BDS comments) is easily obtained with any lift. But stance is nto what is about. Functionality and reliability!

Sure, any of the kits mentioned will get you the lift you want. I know many folks that are running the RE 4.5" and 5.5" short arm kits. they all net at least 5" of lift and run 33 and 35" tires.

I gues my point is, everyone has an opinion, and there is no exact, correct answer for you. There is alot of experience and knowledge here, so take it all in and make your decision.

Good Luck!

Thanks your post it was very helpful, and to answer the others I don't plan on prerunning, I just plan on messing around at lower speeds on sand dunes and hitting a little mud. I'm not understanding your thought process with the tires loosing their beads with a larger rim? There is more side wall flex with any wider tire mounted on a narrower rim, which is why the monster trucks loose their beads more than anyother sport.(Atleast that's how I see it) I would think that with a wider rim, you would have more support both vertically and horizontally. I never say BDS was a bad kit, I actually like their LA kit better than RE's, but RE is more reasonably priced for what I plan on doing.

I don't plan on trimming my fenders if I don't have to, and yes I would like to get the lowest center of gravity out of these kits, while still fitting 33's. I would trim if I could reuse the stock fenders(I saw that write-up recently were some one trimmed 2 inches and reused the stock flares), I like the stock look. So I'm saying that if I could run a 4.5" lift and get away with running either 33's than that's what I'm looking for. Regardless of rim width, I'm looking to run 12.5" wide tires, whether if the tire is 31, 32, or 33.

just some quick searches

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=103359&highlight=rim+width+bead+tire

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66132&highlight=rim+width+bead+tire

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44837&highlight=rim+width+bead+tire

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=26745&highlight=rim+width+bead+tire

It's just fact that 8" rims hold a bead better when aired down... I figured monster trucks would run double beadlocks...

You are correct about more support but dont plan to air down much...

uncc civilengineer said:
Nice thanks, but I have one question, what would you recommend for a XJ that's street driven as well? All of those recommendations are for off-roading, and I need a medium in between the two...A few guys from those threads said that they would recommend the opposite for street use. So I'm kinda confused, I want a wheel/tire combo that will work on the street, and handle offroad. Again I'm looking for a 12.5 wide tire, on a 15" rim.

Couple of things I've experienced: One, 10 inches rims result in a wider tread, which leads to more tire/fender interference, all other things being equal; the 8 inch rim tends to make the shoulders on a 12.5 inch wide tire rounded, resulting in less fender trimming. Two, the style of tire greatly affects clearance issues as well. I've tried BFG 33x12.5 All Terrains on my '88; little trimming was required. I then put a set of BFG Mud/Terrains on--had to get out the box cutter just to get out of the tire shop! This experience was with 6 inches of lift.

Last edited:
xjbubba said:
Couple of things I've experienced: One, 10 inches rims result in a wider tread, which leads to more tire/fender interference, all other things being equal; the 8 inch rim tends to make the shoulders on a 12.5 inch wide tire rounded, resulting in less fender trimming. Two, the style of tire greatly affects clearance issues as well. I've tried BFG 33x12.5 All Terrains on my '88; little trimming was required. I then put a set of BFG Mud/Terrains on--had to get out the box cutter just to get out of the tire shop! This experience was with 6 inches of lift.

Very helpful you explained that very well, it sounds like I would get more articulation and less rubbing on a full cocked turn with a 8" rim with 33x12.5 tire. Well it looks like a 8" rim is the right size for me since I would like to try and stay away from fender trimming.

Here is a pic of mine. I am at 5" of lift. I run 15x8 rims with 4" backspacing and 33x12.5x15 MT/R's. My fenders need trimming more and I need to bumpstop a little more in the front.

I drive my rig every day on side streets and the freeway. I wheel pretty moderately, rocks and mountain trails and some desert.

PICT0042.jpg

PICT0115.jpg

Bigflex.jpg

There are many guys out there with trimmed fenders and stock flares. There are several write-ups on how to move your flares up.

Good luck!

Back