• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stereo Cutout

Muddy89XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok this has me stumped.

Installed a JVC MP3 CD player in my 89.
The stereo will be working fine then the sound will randomly cut out but my subs keep working. I pulled the stereo out while it did it and tapped on the stereo all over and jiggled all the wires/checked the splices. its wierd cause if you hit the dash anywhere on the drivers side just enough to jiggle the dash, the sound comes back. I dont think it would be a ground or power wire cause the stereo stays on the whole time. Is there some kind connector behind the cluster that connects all the speaker wires and not abything else that couls be loose.

Is there a seperate output from the stereo for the sub or are you feeding it from one (or two) of the full range outputs?

My first suspect (if all four full range channels are going out at the same time) is the stereo itself.

my factory radio did this if i was using accessories fan on hi, wipers etc mainly when it was cranked up i replaced the radio and the problems went away

I have the amp hooked thru the stereo outputs.

I thought it would be the stereo too, but it did it so i took it out and tapped on it and it didnt fix it. it will work if i hit the dash, its almost like a loose connector. Yes all 4 channels cut out. im at a loss

Odd indeed. My aftermarket deck (installed by PO) will cut out if you hit a bump just right. Just hit one of the volume buttons, and it will start playing sound again. Like above, the deck has power the whole time.....

Muddy89XJ said:
I have the amp hooked thru the stereo outputs.

Okay, maybe I worded my question poorly. Is there a dedicated output for the sub, or are you sending it a full range signal that then goes to one (or more) of your full range speakers.

anodyne33 said:
Okay, maybe I worded my question poorly. Is there a dedicated output for the sub, or are you sending it a full range signal that then goes to one (or more) of your full range speakers.

Theres a dedicated output for the sub using RCA cables

I had the same thing happen to me in my 82 Chevy pickup, except it was a that a speaker wire was cut and making contact with metal and grounding out all 4 speakers... the subs would still beat though.. Check all your speaker wires, something may have sliced or freyed one of them under the dash somewhere.

prerunner1982 said:
I had the same thing happen to me in my 82 Chevy pickup, except it was a that a speaker wire was cut and making contact with metal and grounding out all 4 speakers... the subs would still beat though.. Check all your speaker wires, something may have sliced or freyed one of them under the dash somewhere.

Holy crap thi is going to be so much fun..

hitting the dash is not lookin to bad anymore. Does anyone know if the wires with the stereo ru high or low inside the dash?

OK if you are using an external amp for the four channels that are cutting out, does it have a remote on wire? Also it could be losing 12v or ground. Check the remote on splice. If by some odd chance all four speaker grounds are tied together at any point, they could be losing that ground somewhere. The worst and most unlikely case is that your head unit has some deep pre-amp type fault since you are using the RCA connectors rather than the speaker output wires.
I would bet that if you hooked a single cheap-ass speaker to one of the speaker outs on the head unit, it will not cut out when the others do.

Last edited:
cygnus58 said:
OK if you are using an external amp for the four channels that are cutting out, does it have a remote on wire? Also it could be losing 12v or ground. Check the remote on splice. If by some odd chance all four speaker grounds are tied together at any point, they could be losing that ground somewhere. The worst and most unlikely case is that your head unit has some deep pre-amp type fault since you are using the RCA connectors rather than the speaker output wires.
I would bet that if you hooked a single cheap-ass speaker to one of the speaker outs on the head unit, it will not cut out when the others do.

No the amp only powers the sub.

Muddy89XJ said:
Ok this has me stumped.

Installed a JVC MP3 CD player in my 89.
The stereo will be working fine then the sound will randomly cut out but my subs keep working. I pulled the stereo out while it did it and tapped on the stereo all over and jiggled all the wires/checked the splices. its wierd cause if you hit the dash anywhere on the drivers side just enough to jiggle the dash, the sound comes back. I dont think it would be a ground or power wire cause the stereo stays on the whole time. Is there some kind connector behind the cluster that connects all the speaker wires and not abything else that couls be loose.

On the back of the JVC Head where the speaker leads come out, do they come out of a plug or directly from the steelcase? In either event, ck the plug for a bad or intermittent connection (hence F&R Speakers not working) and/or the same if the wires exit from the steelcase (bad or cold solder joint not making good contact).

The Sub stays on since the RCA's are linking it to the AMP and not from the F&R's. I'll bet if you used a LOC and ran the AMP off the F&R's you'd have the same prob with the SUB cutting out also.

Hope this helps.

DIGITRUCK said:
On the back of the JVC Head where the speaker leads come out, do they come out of a plug or directly from the steelcase? In either event, ck the plug for a bad or intermittent connection (hence F&R Speakers not working) and/or the same if the wires exit from the steelcase (bad or cold solder joint not making good contact).

The Sub stays on since the RCA's are linking it to the AMP and not from the F&R's. I'll bet if you used a LOC and ran the AMP off the F&R's you'd have the same prob with the SUB cutting out also.

Hope this helps.

Ill check that, but i pulled the stereo out of the dash while it was doing it and tapped on it and it didnt come back on, mabye i didnt hit it hard enough.

Muddy89xj, when i said that, i assumed either you or someone else wired in the head unit without the factory harness. What is the model no. of the JVC head unit? I can look it up and see if it is safe to ground the speakers . With some floating ground audio amplifiers in some head units both speaker wires are isolated from ground. IMPORTANT post model number first! IT's just a hopefully simple fix. If that works just splice one of those speaker grounds to chassis and leave it that way.
I'm sure my factory '88 speakers were all grounded.
If your unit requires isolated speaker "negative" connections, the amps in the head unit could be shutting down. This wouldn't really happen randomly though.

Sorry been away from home a lot. Ill look up that model # tomorrow. Its wierd it doesnt happen randomly. It happens only when i switch radio stations or from AM/FM to a CD

Back