• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loose wires under dash- anti theft?

mortskeg

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone-

As I was getting out of my '93 XJ (country) the other day, I noticed some wires hanging down under the dash terminating in a yellow-insulated, ring crimp connector. :huh:

lgthumbnail10608_terminals.jpg

4 wires run into the crimp-connector, 3 bigger gauge wires: black, blue, and white, and one smaller black wire. I took a look underneath the dash, and it looks like the wires lead into the anti-theft key recepticle at the bottom of the kick panel. I didn't know if the ring was supposed to be grounded out somewhere, or if grounding it would send sparks flying. I did know that the jeep would start up and run ok, so I just put some electrical tape around the connector and put it up under the dash. The only thing I've noticed out of place is that when the antitheft key-deal is pulled out, the red LED no longer blinks.

I'm guessing that this chunk of wires was perhaps grounded somewhere, but I wanted to check with you guys first. If it is supposed to be grounded, do you know where? And if not, what was it connected to in the first place? I should be content with the jeep running fine, but would prefer to have the wires going to their intended places.

Thanks in advance!

Everybody-

I ended up figuring out where the solderless connector was supposed to be attached- the phillips head screw under the kick panel just right above the hood release had come loose. Tightened it back up with the ring underneath and I have a blinking LED again. Problem solved.
:cheers:

Back