• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winch one?

Luntz

NAXJA Member #1186
I'm ready to pop for a new bumper/winch combo.

"Available with either 80' of wire rope and hawse fairlead or 100' of wire rope and roller fairlead"

Which is best and why?

6000, 8000 or 9000 rating? An XJ weighs in around 3500 lbs?
Warn/ARB/Hanson whats you preference?
TIA

100' Roller M8000 Warn. I haven't had any trouble from mine, but it was the 80' with hawse, the roller is better on the cable since the cable isnt sliding across the hawse causing friction and wear.

My 2 cents...

what kind of budget are you looking at?

If your like me and dont plan to use a winch everyday and on a budget... look at the Ramsey 8.5. I took the cable off of mine and put on 100' of 3/8" synthetic line from winchline.com. Then added an aluminum fairlead and it brought the weight down to around 58lbs.

As for the Superwinch, it looks like a nice winch but weighs a ton...

The one thing about my Ramsey is it's slower than most. But, under load it's pretty much the same speed as the Warns. It's "no-load" speed is slower but who cares...

Superwinch:

EPi 9 = 114lbs.

Warn:

XD9000i = 85
XD9000 = 78
M8000 = 74

Ramsey:

Patriot 9500 = 93
Patriot 9500 w/ synthetic = 70
REP 8.5 = 73
REP 8.5 w/ synthetic = 58 lbs <--- what im running

SO: I'd say take off about 15lbs for synthetic line and swapping in an Aluminun Fairlead... That bring you down to around 100 lbs.

EDIT: but mine's not pretty or anything but it's completely hidden by the ARB anyway...

12 Volt Man said:
100 pounds will probably take away at about an inch of lift. Hmm. An excuse to lift it more :) Between that and my bumper I bet have lost 2 inches.

:rof: Signature anyone?

Great responses.
What exectly do each of you like best about roller vs. hawse?
Seems like like roller is less friction but IntrepidXJ wouldn't have it any other way.
I just had the bumper and 1/4 panel destroyed while parked on the street, and the insurance co is going to pay me around $3000, so my budget is fairly generous, even after the body work.
ARB or Warn on the bumper? They both look pretty sweet.

Luntz said:
What exectly do each of you like best about roller vs. hawse?
Seems like like roller is less friction but IntrepidXJ wouldn't have it any other way.

i end up smashing into the rollers until they no longer roll anymore anyways.....plus they can eat up a lot more approach angle depending on the bumper you are running.

after killing a few roller fairleads i went hawse and haven't looked back.

You also have to take into consideration the different styles that each brand is if I'm not nistaken Ramsey's are wormgear driven and Warn's are planetary drives ,
Planetary drives are faster but worm gears are heavy duty most of the old tow trocks were Ramsey winches but like they said the no load speed of the planetary is faster
Sean

KarlVP said:
Warn 8274-50.

Other winches are just trying to be an 8274-50.

Not exactly easy to mount one of these to an XJ.. I have one that I used on my YJ and trying to figure out how to install it to my XJ without blocking the radiator to much and not loosing to much approach angle. No one that I have found makes a nice mount for these for an XJ. Have to custom make yourself

Back