• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front D44 opinion

blaisetd

NAXJA Forum User
I'm at a point where i need/want to upgrade my front axle. I currently run 8" rock krawler lift, 35" tires, 8.8 rear with a lunch box and the stock 30 up front (still open). At a recent run @ Katemcy i ran into a few spots where the open front caused problems. It was raining off and on that weekend so traction was limited. I don't want to waste money on the D30. I've read alot of posts about the waggy D44 and the ford D44 swap. I'd really like to stay away from full width since i just did the 8.8. I can fab/weld/set up gears etc. ,but i've never removed or rotated knuckles. Is going the waggy LP D44 that big of a disadvantage? Also what would be decent prices for the waggy/ford D44 from a salvage yard? They are limited around here and about $300 is the going rate. Advice??? thanks in advance blaise

i'll sell you my HP44 housing i have sitting in my garage
icon6.gif

There is no point going lp44, waste of money, especially if you already have a descent d30 set up. D30 hp is just as strong gear wise as a lp 44 and the 44 uses the same size u joints

the only thing you would gain is lockouts and a housing that is a litle stronger.
but if your not going that large (i dont know what tire size your thinking about) you could always throw a tnt truss on your 30 and be done with it.

Or you could find a shop to chop a hp44 down to waggy width. I found a shop in CT that would do it for a couple hundred if it was all prepped and ready to go, so you might want to check around.

Back