• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need to keep my Chevy 5.7 cool, any ideas?

Just remember that the radiator will help the most, but if the fan system does not have the proper high speed knuter bearings in it you may have to add an electrostatic high speed thermometric balast regulator. They are kind of spendy, but well worth the money. I think Auto Zone has the best price on them last I checked.

sarcasm. hmm. very constructive. and typical of this forum.

Mudshovel, I''m thinking the 3 row heavy duty 4.0 xj radiator for an open system is gonna be your best bet. either that or measure your space and find a rad. that fits the space you'll have and is out of an engine with similar heat production and heat capacity. remember, performance is key, but you don't want a cold engine in winter or the heater won't kick in (if you even know what winter is...some of y'all got it lucky with the whole no snow thing)

anyways, a 4.0 HD rad. would fit with now need to alter the header. you can always go with that (from a jy for cheapness) and if it seems not to be enough, you can alter the radiator plans after the fact.

...I think the most important thing is getting it in, getting the manifolds, mounts, and positioning done, and the tranny in and done, and the last things should be the cooling system and the wiring.

what's the 5.7 out of?

jeepcomj said:
what's the 5.7 out of?
A Chevy...didn't you read the title??? :D

Seriously though, I would agree with jeepcom in first worrying about will the engine actually fit into the compartment of a MJ...then worry about cooling.

one other thing...If this is a 5.7 out of a camaro/firebird/corvette type application, I can help ALOT with wiring etc. my DD is an MJ with a 3800 camaro engine in it.
actually, I can get you any engine diagram you want regardless of the application it was in. even an entire car diagram. yay alldatapro.com!

pm me on cc if you need any of the diagrams, and if you're looking for a passkey VATS (vehicle antitheft system) bypass, go to bakerelectronix. they're $30 plus like $5 shipping.

lol, 99xj...I mean year, body type, etc. it all matters when it comes to wiring and intake/exhaust design, hence the questions I've asked.

I'm all to familiar with chevrolet engines and swapping them into cars they don't belong in...we just put a 3.4 camaro motor in an MG for a guy, and my mid-engine sandrail ran a 350 with MPFI kit. a few other ones in there too...dad had a 6.2 powered j10 at one point before it threw half the engine out of the truck practically chopping the entire front end of the truck off of the rest of it.

jeepcomj said:
lol, 99xj...I mean year, body type, etc. it all matters when it comes to wiring and intake/exhaust design, hence the questions I've asked.

LOL yeah I know...just pokin a little fun at ya.....my sarcastic personality has a mind of its own :laugh3:

I like the rad in the pick. I would run either the ford taurus fan setup or a fan set up in a late model LS1 camaro or trans am.

I'm using the stock heavy duty mechanical fan-clutch fan assembly. No electrical fan.

eesh. i always go electric. it's better.

Mechanical fan is more efficient, and is the best solution, if you have the room.

:p i don't have room...so I'm doubled up on LT1 (or Ls1? i keep mixing them up) fans that work really well.

Back