• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine swap: wiring harness questions

cjben

NAXJA Forum User
I am preparing a 96 4.0 to swap into my 92 cherokee that has a 4.0 in it also. I am going to use my 92 sensors and wiring harness. The 96 has the complete wiring harness and computer still attached. my question is,can I just strip the whole 96 harness off and use the one off of my 92? there isn't any wiring I will need for the 92 harness is there? can I also use the 96 alternator or do i need to swap the 92 alternator in it's place while I have both engines out? thanks for the help,Ben

I don't think that there is much difference between the 92 and the 96, except the OBDII. Why do you want to use the old harness and computer? Don't you like OBDII? Both motors are HO so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Regards,

SimpleXJ

I was just going to use the 92 computer and wiring because it is already in the jeep and I don't have to figure out what goes where.

the '92 computer is looking for info from the '92 sensors. pull them from the '92 engine and place them in the '96-- all will be honkey-dorey!
--Shorty

yes your fine, direct swap, the only thing that is different is the temp sensor on the back drivers side of the valve cover

good luck with the swap, i did mine about three months ago and we did it in two days,

Back