• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Most relaible Headers and Budget boost?

junx

NAXJA Forum User
I'm about to pick up a 97 XJ, and of course the exhaust manifold is probably cracked. Additionally, I assume that 10 years and 140k miles will have the stock suspension sagging quite a bit, so my questions are as follows:

What is a good budget boost out there? I'm thinking no more than 3 inches. What size tires can I run w/3 inches of lift? I'm not against paying for quality, but if there is something of similar value out there for less, i'd prefer it.

Headers - I've run headers on i6's before and had issues with warpage, so I'm looking for a quality set of headers that are reliable - is there a preferred mfgr?

Again, i'm not against paying for quality, but what I'm really looking for is value. :)

Thanks!

Borla header, well worth the money. Rubicon Express for the lift. M.O.R.E. for the bombproof motor mounts. Rusty's is a good value for the catback to get the most out of the header. Spend your money on the quality parts and shop around to get the best price on them. 31" tires and rims with less backspacing or 32"s if you cut the fenders some.

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations - it's really helped me get a little perspective on what i need to do and when. To start, I'll be looking to get it past emissions and safety inspection, so a lift and larger tires/wheels will just have to wait. Looking at the following in the short term:
M.O.R.E. Bombproof Motor Mounts
Borla Headers
Rustys XJ Performance Package

I've gotten a private offer for most of a 2 inch budget boost kit at an unbeatable price and may just slap that on to get me a little lift for now. Given that I believe the rig needs a new windshield, and I expect to do some standard maintenance, etc. I'd rather not get too deep in the upgrades yet, i know how it goes - A year from now, it'll be a completely different vehicle.

i have a borla header, and the rustys cat back system. I have the original 50 series flowmaster (dont get the 40 series like so many people seem to like, the 50 series is what the flowmaster techs recomend. For the displacement it is the prefered muffler.) While you got your wallet open and you are grabbing your ankels might as well through in a new catalytic converter from summit. $60 bucks or so for a catco or magnaflow. Maybe mine was $60 in 2003, when i rebuilt exhaust front to back. Prolly $80 with metal prices now.

the whole thing sounds bad ass and should last me a long time.

i dont have MORE mounts yet but they are on the short to do list. Good choice.

Back