• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.9 V8 Conversion

profonde

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,
We have a free 5.9 sitting at the floor. So here are the questions
1) 5.9 Conversion or stroking the I6??
2) Can i adapt the AW4 to it??
3) Can u imagine other hassles?

Thanks

I believe that this type of a swap has been covered before.

It would be a lot of work to make a 5.9L swap into an XJ. I know that some of the ZJs came with an available 5.9L V8 but the tranny that came with it is natoriously hard to find parts for.

some factors to consider about the swap would be:

first off room. plain and simple will it fit? take some measurements of the engine and of your engine bay and see if it will fit. if not, are you willing to do the extensive modifications to the fire wall and or floorpan (for the tranny) that may be required.

cooling. there are plenty of cooling issues with the xj and the 4.0 as it is. throw a big v8 in there and you may have to get creative with your cooling setup.

electrical. you will have to use much if not all of the 5.9s engines electrical and addapt it to work in the xj.

transmissions. is there already a tranny matted up to the engine? if so that may be easier than trying to get an addapter to fit the 5.9 to the AW4. there may or may not be addapters for that type of application, im not sure. companies such as Advanced Adapter may point you in the right direction there.

Drive line upgrades. there is tons more power so make sure your drive line can handle it.

the list goes on and on. it is up to you to deside, however anything is possible. its just the amount of work and money required to accomplish it and in the end it may not be the safest.

in a nut shell,
stroking the 4.0 is the easier and more common method and the 5.9 swap is rarer but more unique.

if you deside to do the 5.9 swap, be sure to document the entire process and post up a write up on how you did it.

hth
stewie

Building a swap around a specific motor isn't the best idea... the Dodge V8's have been done, but there is quite a bit more support out there for Chevy V8 swaps.

If your do decide to go for the swap, you can put an NV3500 behind it if you want to swap to a manual. It is internally the same as an NV3550, but way cheaper. Any of the manual full size stuff with the 5.2 - 5.9 and the Dakotas came with them. (Chevys also came with them, making a SB chevy an easy swap too, but who wants one of those?)

I swapped in a 318 into a CJ, and had a long conversation with an NVG engineer. Turns out they're the same transmission, the difference being the removable bell housing on the -3550, and longer shift rods(also the 3550)

People have done it with Viper V10's and 5.2's, should be easy as pie.

You might have to put a few radiators on the roof and under the bumper though.

RyleyF said:
People have done it with Viper V10's and 5.2's, should be easy as pie.

You might have to put a few radiators on the roof and under the bumper though.
i have yet to see a viper v10 in a xj, ive only seen em in CJ's and TJ's

Back