• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle movement??

RaccoonJoe

NAXJA Forum User
OK, here's the skinny. When hitting the brakes (rather hard), sometimes I will get a thump/bang coming out of the front end. It actually feels like the axle is shifting backwards. Did some research, and this is what I've got:

The Haynes manual says that #10 (on the photo of front suspension) is a "lower suspension arm". Is this the same as a Lower Control Arm?? More importantly....the front of mine appear to be welded to the axle, while the back end goes into a shackle-type attachment. If I grab hold of the back end of that bar, I have ~ 1 inch of lateral movement (left to right). Does this mean the bushings are shot, thereby causing them to slip fore/aft, and make the nasty thump??

BTW: 89 XJ Limited, 4.0L, AW4, lower-than-stock ride height (damn sagging springs!!)

Sounds like you have it figured out. It sounds like the lower control arm bushings, and possibily the upper control arm bushings are bad. They should be stiff, not having 1" of movement.

Back