• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 with 307 gears for towing pwc???

Tampa_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok my buddy needs a tow vehicle for his waverunner ( around 1,000lbs with trailer) and I happen to have a spare xj that I need to sell. The only thing I'm concerned about is that the 307s(yes they are 307s the original axles were tossed by the previous owner when he upgraded to d60s) combined with the auto tranny might be a really bad combo for towing. I just want to make sure that it will be ok for towing the waverunner before I sell it to him.

Tampa_XJ said:
Ok my buddy needs a tow vehicle for his waverunner ( around 1,000lbs with trailer) and I happen to have a spare xj that I need to sell. The only thing I'm concerned about is that the 307s(yes they are 307s the original axles were tossed by the previous owner when he upgraded to d60s) combined with the auto tranny might be a really bad combo for towing. I just want to make sure that it will be ok for towing the waverunner before I sell it to him.
Well if this gives you any idea we used to pull a triple waverunner trailer which would have probably weighed about 2000-2200lbs total with my 1990 XJ. It had the AW4 and 3:55s which is just one step up and it did beautifully, even on road trips. I would think he would be fine, I dunno if you're worried about it lacking power because of the gears, or the AW4 burning up. The AW4 will be just fine with 1000 lbs behind it though, I'll tell ya that.

I pulled a full size car and freaking heavy trailer with my 99/4.0/3.55/aw4. and my rear springs are shot. so i wouldn't hesitate to pull A wave runner after that. By the way, i was even able to let it go into overdrive.

I am not an expert but I got a bit of common sense and you get a lot of people on this board tell you a bunch crap sometimes. The motor develops plenty of torque to pull a 1000 pounds easy. The auto tranny is a better choice then the ax 15. The 307 gears are a very minor problem with a 1000 pound load. The motor might have to rev up a bit more to load up the torque convert to get started and once started the rpm will not be in best range for the motor. Neither of those are major issues. The guy will be towing probably not in Overdrive anyway and thus returning the motor to proper rpm band anyway. I say it will DO just fine and so well the typical person would never EVEN know the difference.

Thanks
Bill

Back