• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Probs {pics included}

hmmhoyhoy

NAXJA Forum User
My Drag link/Center link aswell as my tie rod are loose. I experienced some death wobble for the first time in this XJ and jumped under to find that they are wiggle loose. The dust boots that hold the grease are shot. Can I replace those and alleviate the problem or is a new tie rod and drag link in order.

Its loose in 4 diff places and here are the pics

Steering1.jpg

Steering2.jpg

Steering3.jpg

Steering4.jpg

wow thats one worn jeep. The DW could be the tires. You can replace the dust boots, but with the low price of ends, i would get new ones. How much lift you got like 3"? I wouldn't be a bad idea to get a HD replacement system

I intend to take the XJ in and have it balanced but when it comes to the steering components im unsure of what route to take. I dont want to have to spend tons of money on PSC or Currie so im thinking about just getting some ZJ tie rod ends. But that will only fix the tie rod portion. Any suggestions

what do you mean the components are ''loose''. Its gonna have a up and down 'flop'. that just how they are

have a friend hop in and start by slowly moving the steering wheel back and forth with the engine off. then have him jerk the steering wheel a little hard.

while he's doing that, you watch very very carfully at all tie rod ends including the trackbar ends. if one of the ends is loose/worn, you will see it move/jump before the rest of the system starts to move.

scorpio_vette said:
have a friend hop in and start by slowly moving the steering wheel back and forth with the engine off. then have him jerk the steering wheel a little hard.

while he's doing that, you watch very very carfully at all tie rod ends including the trackbar ends. if one of the ends is loose/worn, you will see it move/jump before the rest of the system starts to move.
A small hijack but, I have researched for several months about checking for problems. I knew about having a buddy move the steering wheel and to look for problems but, your description of what to look for is the best I have seen thus far! Thanks, scorpio_vette!

Jeep914x4 said:
Sway bar bushings aren't helping anything.
X2^ you can see daylight through 'em! this won't cause a "DW" but once it starts, the free play in the anti-sway bar can exacerbate the problem.

your tie rod style joints should "twist" or "roll" but you should have no free play between the stud and it's housing in the socket.

look closely at the LCA/UCA bushings during the steering check as well-- they will move a bit, but it should be minimal and smooth "shifting" -- not clunks or jumpy movements.

--Shorty

Jack up the pass side front tire and try to wiggle it front to back and top to bottom. Any play front to back look into replacing whatever is loose (tie-rod ends or drag-link ends), top to bottom is more than likely ball-joints. To check the track bar, park with one front wheel on a ramp and turn the wheel with someone watching, you will definately see it move if it's bad, also keep the hood lines lined up on something solid... you may see big movement there too.

Back