• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shocks question

rowicki

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 96 xj. i am trying to fix it up, and if you happened to read my last post i was just in a wreck with it and wether they salvage it or not i am keeping it and getting some money.... anyways to my question. i want to lift it say 3.5 to 4.5. havnet decided yet. i kinda just want to run over stuff with it. anyways when i put the lift on it i want to run two sets of shocks. since its my dd i dont want to spend big money on shocks. i want an off road set and a dd set. i dont off road that much but when i do i make up for the lack there of. what i was wondering is if any of you know what the wheel travel and ride height would be on a 4.5 lift i am prolly going to use re aal lift. i was just going to measure for the shocks and get those while im at work for when i put the lift on. anyways thanks in advance i hope for soem good advice.

Perhaps you bumped your head in your accident? I am setting up my 96xj with two sets of tires and rims...one off road and the other strictly pavement since its my dd. Removing wheels is no biggy. Your shock question is dubious however. Until you lift your xj and get your real world measurements, few folk will venture to give you specific size shock requirements. Think about it. Every lift is different because each xj is unique with its inherent quirks, flat or arched leaf springs, coils, mounts, etc. and you don't really know what you will get with your lift until you install it and see. AAL, lift kits, bastard paks, blocks, shackles whatever, will vary from one jeep to the next. You get 4 inches, your friend 3, someone else 4.5...and all with the same lift elements, same company, same price. Swapping out shocks between off and on road is an unnecessary headache IMO, even if you install BPE's front and rear and address the mount in the engine compartment. Just get the best set you can afford that will handle your demands. ALso please note that your yoke coming out of the back of your TC, if it is like mine, is longer than most earlier model yokes and tends to create vibration issues at less lift. That means you may, or may not, need a TC drop, shims, LCA adjustments or combination of whatever to help eliminate the vibes. They may have built 3 million xjs but I don't think they built any 1.5 million alike. Do your research here and read all you can.

Back