• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Track Bar Problems

Starboard M

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Im having problems taking off my track bar on my 99.

I got almost all the bolts off of the upper frame bracket, but one is spinning in its hole. It is one of the vertical bolts that holds it on. One has a nut on the top. But the other has a black sort of plastic thing that apparently is just spinning with the bolt. It is in the motor mount bracket as well, so I cant really get anything in there. Of my three Jeeps, this is the only one that has anything like it. The other two came right out.
Pics:
P1010281.jpg

P1010280.jpg

P1010279.jpg

Its the black spacer looking thing. Anyone know what it is, or better yet, how the heck to get it off?

It is actually a nut, that is welded to the engine mount bracket. I suggest trying to get a mirror in there and taking a better look. You might be able to get a set of vice grips on there, enough to break it loose and get it out.

I had the same problem. Usually that nut is captive but has broken loose, and since it is round there is nothing to get a hold of. Get a nut splitter and try to split it off. That didn't work for me but I was able to get a good enough bite with the splitter to allow me to get the bolt out.

03_Busting_a_Nut.jpg

Also, while you are up there check for a cracked frame.
http://itsatj.com/gallery/v/MikezModifications/TrackbarFab/

Alright, thanks guys. Ill try and see what I can do tomorrow.

I sure hope its not cracked. It was a stock 99 that hasnt been off the road its entire life. Luckily for it, thats about to change. :shhh:

Back