• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Doorless problem.

KidWithACrayon

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, I just got all my hinges cut and everything, but I am seeming to have a problem getting the door to actually lift up and come on out.

Any suggestions on how to get the door to lift up and out?

Yes. There is nothing in the way of the door coming off. I got it up about a 1/4'' with a screw driver and hamer. It won't move anymore thought.

I'd spray some PB or something on it first. Then, use a floor jack with a brick or a 2x4 to push up on the bottom of the door, right under the hinge area, while using a prybar. If the whole car starts to go up with the jack, be very careful. When I got my doors off, there was this hard rubber crap with copper through it, your pins must be stuck on that stuff. When I got the door off I just used a dremel with a drill bit to clear out that rubber stuff.

But anyway, good luck.

I'll be posting up my job here soon. Just doing some finishing touches.

But yeah, tell us how things went and take pics along the way.

I just cut the doors off my 2 door. I had the same prob lifting.. I ended up using a flat head screwdriver to hammer into the gap between the 2 pieces of the hinge which helped to ease it up enough to pull the rest of the way.. The brick on a floor jack ended up just jacking the jeep up.. haha Even 2 days of random PB blasting didn't ease it up..

I just did mine too, be sure to notch the plate that goes between the shims and the hinge on the door side to clear the remaining hinge. As far as getting them off, I PB blasted them and just worked them back and forth while lifting and they came off in a few minutes but I have a Southern XJ that don't have any rust/corrosion (not saying yours does). If needed I could post pics of the setup and I also have some extra pieces already cut since I got carried away with the plasma cutter that I could get real good pics of.

Did you unbolt the doors from the hinges first, then cut the hinges, then weld on the new pins? If you didn't do it this way then be VERY careful with the passenger side door(s), as the pins onthat door are pressed in from the bottom & you cut that part off already. I had to cut my original pins & punch/drill them out of the door hinges as they had rusted in place very well.

What type of pins did you use?
Rocking the doors back & forth while lifting always got mine right off, even after a long salty Ohio winter.

Back