• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

weight of ax-15

mean94xj

NAXJA Forum User
simple question how much does the ax-15 weigh dry, reason stationed in italy my 2wd dakotas trannsmission sheared the gear cluster in two. and im trying to get a vague idea on how much shipping a rebuild unit is going to cost. later

mean94xj said:
simple question how much does the ax-15 weigh dry, reason stationed in italy my 2wd dakotas trannsmission sheared the gear cluster in two. and im trying to get a vague idea on how much shipping a rebuild unit is going to cost. later

im guessing (from dropping and replacing one) about 50 lbs

I think it's somewhere around 96 lbs. I just put one in, and I remember reading how much they weighed in a manual somewhere. It's definately not 50 lbs.

IIRC, an AX15 is significantly lighter than an NP231.

I can check later this week, got one sitting in the back of my Heep.

When you finally decide where it's coming from make sure to order GL3 lube for it, either redline or dealer...

Ok I have an AX-15 for sale in the garage and wieghed it for shipping reasons. It wieghs 111lbs dry with the shifter and slave/throwout installed, and bellhousing. I also have a 231 that wieghs 64lbs dry. Wieghed it on a pallet scale at work which was accurate for my wieght so I call it good.

thanks for the info you buch of mongrels 111lbs give or take sound bout right have a rebuild unit lined up for the sum of 1,000 bones just wanted to get a idea on how much so my old man can get a shipping qoute from fedex since usps wont ship anything over 90lbs to a apo address

mean94xj said:
thanks for the info you buch of mongrels 111lbs give or take sound bout right have a rebuild unit lined up for the sum of 1,000 bones just wanted to get a idea on how much so my old man can get a shipping qoute from fedex since usps wont ship anything over 90lbs to a apo address

$1000! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Unfortunately, the spare AX15 I've got lying around is from a 92 YJ. It was functional when I pulled it out from a friend's Wrangler, but it's got at least 140k miles on it, and Ron wasn't particularly gentle with it.

WOW thats alot. The one I have has 150K on and appears to have been taken very well care of, it was very clean and the fluid looked great as well. PM for details.

Last time I looked, there were a few outfits on eBay selling rebuilts for $650. I just weighed mine and without the bell, clutch, or throwout (does have shifter) it clocked in at 89 lbs. When I rebuild mine, the bearings-brass kit was $180. The FSM claims no special tools and I managed with just a modified gear puller, but you'll really want a bearing splitter and a press.

Back