• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX5 grinding into 3rd gear..

sidriptide

nobody of any consequence
my old trany had terrible bearing noise in 4th and 5th on the high way so i swapped in a used unit. now its acting screwy.. with the vehicle "cold" like first thing in the AM it shifts nice and smooth.. after it warms up it starts grinding into 3rd on up-shift as well as down-shift. i caan sneek it by if i let the rpm drop way down and finesse it in.. but 3rd gear shifting is generally done under aceleration and on the highway it sounds like its gonna drop out the bottom..
might it be overfilled and foaming the oil? maybe just grasping but its a thought. i'm draining it this weekend and 2x checking myself on everything this weekend.
i couldnt get the fill plug out so i filled it with 3 qts of 80w90 thru the shifter housing on top.... the capacity and oil grade were from a friend so i will admit to not looking it up...

any thoughts guys?

syncro is on its way out?

my buddys peugot has a blown syncro, you can get around it when you shift at low rpms [so the tranny doesnt have to compensate all that much]

i believe that is your problem. 3rd and R are the usual culprits, they are the most shifted into gears [apparently]

This sounds very much like what is going on in my 95 XJ. It shifts fine through all the gears except into Reverse. I can be sitting at a dead stop and when I try to shift into reverse I can still feel the flywheel ??? spinning. If I go really slow on the shift I can fell the shifter bounce. It goes in and out of Reverse, just makes a little noise. What should I do to resolve this issue? Is this something that I need to worry about? :huh:

This sounds very much like what is going on in my 95 XJ. It shifts fine through all the gears except into Reverse. I can be sitting at a dead stop and when I try to shift into reverse I can still feel the flywheel ??? spinning. If I go really slow on the shift I can fell the shifter bounce. It goes in and out of Reverse, just makes a little noise. What should I do to resolve this issue? Is this something that I need to worry about? :huh:

Allow me to bust myself on this one!!

Should have serched http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=920288:looser:

Back