• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starting Trouble

5bucks

NAXJA Forum User
'99 XJ

Having trouble starting about 30% of the time. If I give it a little gas peddle while starting it does start. Have to hold gas peddle at 10-20% to keep it running. After about a minute of keeping it running I can let off the gas and it runs at normal idle. Once it's idling unassisted engine runs perfectly. No CEL when this happens. I've replaced the IAC valve. Someone mentioned a "Power Latch Relay" as a potential source of problem. Theroy is the relay holds power on after key off briefly so the IAC can reset to an engine start setting. Sounds plausible - problem is I can't find a relay anywhere labeled as the "power latch relay". Any ideas on where this relay is? Might it be called something else? Or, any other causes for this sort of starting problem? Engine runs perfect once it's past this starting problem.

It's the wife's daily driver and she getting fed up with the PITA starts. Says it might start causing her ill-timed bedroom headaches :tears: if I don't fix it soon!

Back