• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to replace your 97+ broken/vibrating auxilary fan for $29. PICS!!!

darjevon

NAXJA Forum User
I had an annoying problem that every time i'd turn on the XJ's AC the whole damn jeep would vibrate. Also when the engine got a little warm it would start doing it, and I would always think that the engine had f***** up. Anyway, I found it as hard to believe as you probably do that the little auxilary E-fan could cause this problem... o but it can. I rigged up a battery and presto, one vibrating heep. This needs minimal tools: hacksaw or dremel (i used a hacksaw), drill and at least a 1/8 (i used 9/64) black oxide drill bit, and some 1 1/2 inch machine screws with washers and nuts. Of course a couple wrenches and screwdrivers are needed.

First you need a Procomp 1250 cfm 10" fan from this guy (it has nice low 8 amp draw, enough pull, and it will fit *inside* the old shroud.), like this one that i bought:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=014&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=330118132741&rd=1,1

Unplug the electrical connector and use a wrench to remove the hex screws at the top that hold the fan in place. Unplug the electrical connector. Mine was a bitch to remove, but a little wd40 made the job a snap. then carefully maneuver the fan and shroud out of the engine compartment.

Use a hacksaw to cut off the old triangular mount, taking the old fan out with it. Locations to cut are shown in the pic.

Place the new fan with shroud, grate side down, and mark the locations of the four squarish corners. Make downward cuts with the hacksaw, as pictured, and snap off the resulting tab. This will make it possible to accomodate the square shape of the new fan. Do this on both sides, obviously.

next place the fan in the shroud, again, grate side down, lining up the squarish part of the fan with the cuts you just made.

get your drill. Because of the manufacture, there are little circles inside each of the corners of the new fan. Drill straight down, through the little circles and through the old fan shroud. Place a small, thin machine screw, with some washers on both sides, through the resulting holes, and tighten down. Not too much tho, remember its plastic... Do this on all four corners. These pics should make the locations and idea clear...

Voila! done! now for a beer! o wait, we're not done yet. This is another pic with the mounting finished.

Here's how to do the electrical crap. Cut the wires that went to the stock electrical connector and attach them to the wires coming out of the fan. The fan ships as a pusher, and, contrary to the advertising, the blades CAN NOT be flipped. However, it is possible to turn the fan into a puller (necessary) simply by switching the polarity of the wiring, as I have done. If you cant see my pic with integrated further description, too bad, but this is not rocket science. You can figure it out.

Ok! now were really done! Oh crap, not quite yet, gotta go put it in...

I'm guessing you now have a perfect, working E-fan, as I now do.:party:

bought the same fan used large wire ties (duct straps) to mount it 1 yr later fan not working again i guess you get what you pay for ( I'm guessing you now have a perfect, working E-fan, as I now do.:party:) oh ...and you could have used butt conectors with heat shrink tubeing on the electrical might have been easier

Last edited:
kennzz05 said:
bought the same fan used large wire ties (duct straps) to mount it 1 yr later fan not working again i guess you get what you pay for ( I'm guessing you now have a perfect, working E-fan, as I now do.:party:) oh ...and you could have used butt conectors with heat shrink tubeing on the electrical might have been easier

you think the fan broke because of how you mounted it? or are you saying it's a shitty fan?

About the elec connectors... I just was really annoyed cause I had bolted the whole damn thing in only to realize with horror that I had forgotted to do anything to the electrical connectors. Normally I would do the connectors properly, but I quickly decided that I did not care in the least so I just ripped it back out, made it work, and put it bak in.

thanks for your input,
Joe

im thinking maybe its a shitty fan ,trucks low on 134 so the compressor cycles alot but the fan isnt coming on but i havent had a chance to put a meter on it yet however that fan moved alot of air when it was workin if i recall the fan should run any ttime the ac is on regardless of coolant temp

Nice work - that fan should actually work for 87+ upgrades. The fan blade itself changed over in 93, but the newer fan could still drop into the older models. Leads me to believe that your upgrade will work for all I-6 XJs.

BTW, the mounting tabs for the electric fan should be in place even if the Jeep didn't come with a/c.
darjevon said:
Voila! done! now for a beer!
Gotta give you credit for being one of the few on here who has spelled that word correctly. I won't point out which word, so it will keep the peeps perplexed.
beer-cheers.gif

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Thanks for the write up man...you saved me some coin for sure. I just ordered one from another auction I found on eBay for $17.00 plus $9 to ship...not bad at all. My factory fan cracked, so it was vibrating the hell out of the whole truck obviously...like you had described. Thanks again

Dave.

Yucca-Man said:
Nice work - that fan should actually work for 87+ upgrades. The fan blade itself changed over in 93, but the newer fan could still drop into the older models. Leads me to believe that your upgrade will work for all I-6 XJs.

Thanks I had a feeling this might be the case but as I have only worked on 97+ xjs I had no way of confirming, so I figured I should stick to what I know. If any other users have done this or something similar to a any year of pre-97 xj, please post up, especially if anything is different in the procedure (wiring, perhaps?)

Wallah? LOL.

Are you sure you can reverse the polarity? Some motors don't care - some do.

Do you notice a cooling improvement with this new fan vs. the stock fan? (when it was in its working days, that is)

I thought it changed 3 times?

Old fans were like square shaped blades.....then they were S-shaped. But then I thought later on they added even more S-shaped blades to the fan?

Blaine B. said:
Wallah? LOL.

Are you sure you can reverse the polarity? Some motors don't care - some do.

Do you notice a cooling improvement with this new fan vs. the stock fan? (when it was in its working days, that is)

I don't know about improvement, as I never knew the fan in its working days, but it certainly works much, much better the old fan did when badly damaged. Also this is a very simple DC brushless fan we are talking about here - no way is it going to be impossible to invert the polarity. Besides, others have done similar or near-identical mods sucessfully.

If you want crazy cooling ability, I would suggest trying a bigger fan, perhaps an 11'' or 12''. Im fairly sure that with a little more work it would be possible to chop a 12" into the stock fan shroud.

Damn, those fans are 1250cfm? How is it holding up? I noticed the comment about someone's failing. Procomp is a good company, no? Is it the same company that makes suspension components?

I did an efan conversion on my 95 XJ using three 10" Flex-A-Lite fans. They were like $75.00 each! And they are only 800 cfm.

Cooling is fine but I'm sure the extra 450 cfm wouldn't have hurt, as well as the lower cost. Oh well, you win some, you lose some. But in this case if these fans fail, I guess I didn't lose anything with the added reliability. Dunno.

BTW The newest OEM efans for the XJ's have 10 S blades, not 8 light in the pic.

4 month recovery, not bad...

my e-fan blew apart 10 days ago... picked up the blades, unplgeed the fan and have been doing my daily 50mile commute every day. the stock mechanical fan is doing well. :) although, it's not getting above 85* here. gonna pick up a new fan tomorrow, though... I'm pretty sure it'll overheat offroading this weekend without it.

I doubt you're getting 1250 cfm after swapping the wires to turn it into a pusher fan though. Curved and swept blades are really only efficient when they are spinning the proper direction.

The work the original poster did looks nice.

However, you can also replace that fan with and 87' and up aux fan from any XJ.
The mounting tabs/holes are all the same and the big difference is the blade shape and count, and the connector.

I presently have an early 90ish fan living in my 98' XJ that I installed after the original died 3 years ago. Stays cool in all weather and no vibrations. It cost me $5 at the junk yard and the yards are full of them. I made an adapter using the end I cut off the donor wiring harness and the end I cut off the old fan.

Just another option.

Ron

thats just it, this fan's blades cant be flipped. I wish they could. But the ac's very cold and the fan has held up just fine, and it cools the engine off pretty quickly. I once CRAWLED up Lombard Street, SF in my xj in rush hour on a hot day, and it kept the temps right in range.

I do agree though, that one that is truly 100% reversible may be an improvement.

Btw, this is a procomp suspension fan... in a manner of speaking, although it is sold under the procomp name and has a procomp part number, it is obviously just rebranded and made in China. But it does the job. Joe

Back