• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No start after overheating

RyanM

NAXJA Forum User
My buddy was going home the other day and his 97 zj 4.0 overheated on him. He's not much on cars, so I think he pushed it until it shut out. He then burnt up the batttery trying to recrank it on the side of road.

At first glance, pouring water in the Radiator showed water pouring out of the water pump. OK, I put a new pump and belt on for him. No more water pouring out, but with the jumper cables hooked up the motor turned over but didnt start.

I had to be somewhere so He went and got a new battery, being his was about 5 or 6 years old. He calls me and says the same thing, motor is cranking over but no start. I had no time to check for spark and all that good stuff bc i was in a huge rush and he doesn't have the know how.

My friend is 50 miles away, so im trying to figure out as much as i can before i go up to help him more. I told him I don't know because i do not know the extent or extremes he took his 4.0 to. Do you guys think its internal damage?? TIA

I will when I go back, I said I didn't have time today. Anybody have similar experiances??

thanks for the replys.

I didnt look at any of that. I was In and Out. I did see some black smoke coming out the tail pipe when it was 'trying' to start. I want to save him a trip to shop, he strapped, but its not looking good

Check out the cap and rotor - might be full of coolant. Had this happen on an old Crown Vic after I blew a radiator hose. Dried out the cap and rotor and was on my way with a new hose ;)

Good luck

Back