• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New ECU?

1985xjlaredo

NAXJA Forum User
Sure. Personally, I'd just grab one from the junkyard. The local pull-n-save by me wants $8 each. I grab a few everytime I'm there and sell them on eBay for $20-50.

lawsoncl said:
Sure. Personally, I'd just grab one from the junkyard. The local pull-n-save by me wants $8 each. I grab a few everytime I'm there and sell them on eBay for $20-50.

So that's where my renix Ebay spares came from, LOL!:cool: Bought 2 of them, and never needed them (Yet).

I've only ever seen one bad Renix ECU, it had 12 volts going to some of the 5.0 volt sensor circuits.
I thought we had another, with a failed injector driver circuit, but that turned out to be a broken wire in the harness.
Most times the problem is in the sensor loop or the wiring and not with the ECU.

8Mud said:
I've only ever seen one bad Renix ECU, it had 12 volts going to some of the 5.0 volt sensor circuits.
I thought we had another, with a failed injector driver circuit, but that turned out to be a broken wire in the harness.
Most times the problem is in the sensor loop or the wiring and not with the ECU.

The Renix ECUs seem to be quite hardy, last I heard 5-90 had the only (one) confirmed bad Renix ECU with a bad injector driver circuit.

Somebody posted a day or two ago that they had a confirmed bad Renix ECU once upon a time. Those are the only two I have ever heard of other than yours.

I can never find them in the bone yards here in Kansas City. I hate to buy used stuff too.

Same thing with the AW4 trans computers. I've only heard of 3 confirmed bad ones. But, folks automatically assume it's the computer and run out and buy one off eBay. I grab the TCUs and sell them for about $30 each. Basically grabbing eBay'able items while I'm at the salvage yard ends up paying for the whatever I really needed.

1985xjlaredo said:
I can never find them in the bone yards here in Kansas City. I hate to buy used stuff too.

I am pretty much the same way, but I made my first JY trip recently cause there was no other place to get the part I needed!:eek:

I think the first point we are trying to make is that these things almost never go bad. Why are you convinced that your old one is bad, and why are you convinced that you are the 3rd person to ever have a bad one? I have wired 3 sensors up backwards to my ECU, grounded voltage output lines while they were hot (all by mistake) on mine, and mine is still working.

Being that hardy and as cheap as the used parted out ECUs are (mine came off of working Jeeps where the engine just wore out, or they rolled the jeep, and they parted out the rest of the jeep), I don't have a problem using used ones. ECUs and TCUs do not wear out.

You won't ever find me installing a used alternator or starter. Not as long as I can buy rebuilts.

Back