• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need write ups on front/rear bumpers...

EvanH

NAXJA Forum User
So I found someone who is gonna help me fab up some front and rear bumpers for my XJ. The only problem is I have no idea where to start. What materials should I be using? I wanna end up with something at least a bit pleasing to the eye, but functional. Something I can beat up on and use for towing.

Any and all input is appreciated!!!

Have you tried searching? There are tons of threads about bumpers and how to build them.

Are you looking for winch bumpers, or non? What kind for the rear? Do you want a swing away tire carrier?

Give us some info, and we can help a little bit more

Why not get a winch bumper? I honestly believe a winch should be one of the first upgrades to any trail rig. Relatively cheap insurance for you and the folks you wheel with. Mine has saved my bacon numerous times. Sometimes you get committed to a line and can't safely back down, or you or a buddy end up on your side or stuck sideways in a tree-lines mudhole. A simple tug with a strap does you no good in these situations.

fubar XJ said:
Why not get a winch bumper? I honestly believe a winch should be one of the first upgrades to any trail rig. Relatively cheap insurance for you and the folks you wheel with. Mine has saved my bacon numerous times. Sometimes you get committed to a line and can't safely back down, or you or a buddy end up on your side or stuck sideways in a tree-lines mudhole. A simple tug with a strap does you no good in these situations.

I dunno, I am not planning on buying a winch anytime soon. I am strapped for cash (hence the making my own bumpers thing) and I cannot afford a winch and prolly won't be able to for a long while.

Not to :flame:you. If you don't have the slightest clue on what or how to build a bumper. You shouldn't try to build one. Do some more research, the search button is great for tons of info. I would hate to hear about how you tried to recover yourself, or another person, and your bumper failed. Causing injury to yourself or others. Sometimes doing things out of your ability and knowledge to save a few $$$'s isn't worth it. I might be wrong on your abilities, I'm sorry if I offended you any.

Here are the links to my bumper builds they were on here, but suffered death by purge.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=330323
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=334768

DSC04639.jpg

DSC04645.jpg

krawler said:
Not to :flame:you. If you don't have the slightest clue on what or how to build a bumper. You shouldn't try to build one. Do some more research, the search button is great for tons of info. I would hate to hear about how you tried to recover yourself, or another person, and your bumper failed. Causing injury to yourself or others. Sometimes doing things out of your ability and knowledge to save a few $$$'s isn't worth it. I might be wrong on your abilities, I'm sorry if I offended you any.

I think I am now crying...

Naw... I am not gonna try to build them anytime soon. I am just trying to gather info so when I do decide to do them I am not completely clueless.

Back