• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Non- Winch to Winch Bumper

BADaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well, i just put about $400 into a custom jcr bumper last year and didn't get a winch bumper because i knew i'd obviously buy a winch, which i didnt feel was nessicary and i didnt have the money. but now i've got a good deal on a warn 8,000lb pounder and i'm wondering how much work it would take to make it mount to my bumper... i've got friends that can weld, would it be worth it or should i sell it and just buy a winch bumper? i'm trying to save for gears and a locker so cheaper is better. i'm probably not going to use it a whole lot but it would definatly get used.
heres a pick of my current setup:
337wb3.png

Make the bumper yourself. I did for under $200 in material. Took about 3 weekends and some welding,cutting and grinding, but I'm happy with it

well, i've got the tie-in kit and something like a total of 12 grade 8 hardened bolts holding it on so i'm not too worried about that. i am however concerned about welding a "cradle" onto the front face of the bumper. will the welds hold? my friend said something about tacking it an 1/8th in from flush and filling the gap with stick welds. anyways, here is a very quick sketch of my idea... remember its more about if it'll work and functionality at this point, i'll take care of the looks later. i just want to make sure you guys think it'll work before i put too much time into making it look real good. i've got it planned out in my head and i'd be much better off trying to show it to you by making a mock up out of cardboard than darwing it with paint. when i get some time this weekend maybe ill be able to put something together if you think it'll work out. here is my cradle idea:

9042f5efc6.jpg

Looks like a good idea. Yes the welds will hold.

Whether the welds hold or not depends on the skill of who is doing the work.

You mentioned welding a cradle to the face of the bumper... Are you talking about the Warn winch cradle or some other winch plate? If its the Warn or something similar that uses a 2" receiver hitch, why not just fabricate a receiver to the bumper and use the cradle as it was intended? Or if its not a winch cradle but some other winch plate, you can weld that to the top of the bumper extending it as far out as necessary.

Here is another guy that did this with the same bumper I have - http://www.projectxj.com/mods/winch.htm

What I did took A LOT of work and in some ways would have been easier to start from scratch and build a new bumper, but I don't think the end result would have been as good as it turned out to be. I am very happy with it.

i was planning on making the "cradle." its the blue part in the drawing and the black in the photo. how can i bolt it on, thats the only thing i can't think of right now. in the design that i drew, its all sealed off under the top mounting plate because its welded to the bumper on the top, sides and bottom. I'm pretty sure its coming with a warn multi-mount and i may use bits of that, like the flat tray, but i dont want the reciever setup, imo it sticks out too far.

You could switch with someone who has a winch bumper. Like me. I have a winch bumper and don't plan on getting a winch. I even like your current bumper.
:loveu:
:kissyou:

i made a winch bumper that looks just like your drawing. its bolted fast with a total of 14 bolts and 5/16 plate. been using it for almost 2 years and have not had any problems with welds... just make sure whoever is doing the welding knows what they are doing. if it comes loose when your pulling with the winch it could be very deadly.

Back