• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

closed to open conversion issues

GroversXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I just converted my rig to the open system not because I thought it would cool any better but because I'm tired of buying a pressure tank every summer when it cracks and starts leaking and besides I know the Radiator is at least 5 years old.

Anyways I didn't have any auto tranny fluid drip out of the radiator or hoses when I did the swap but my fluid was still full after I was done, so is it poissible the tranny fluid pump isn't working or is it possible the fluid just ran back into the tranny before I disconnected the lines? The tranny doesn't slip and hasn't ever given me any problems so I'm confused.

Next, my lower Rad hose has no spring in it and all of the parts houses don't sell the hose with a spring in it so is that a dealer part? I'm nervous about the spring because I bought a 16 lb rad cap as suggested on this fourum when the parts houses say the stock rad cap for a '92 is a 13 lb cap. I don't want the engine to starve from fluid due to the higher pressure and the lower hose collapses. :hang:

Thanks for any help you can give me.

the aw 4 holds a lot of fluid. when I changed radiators none leaked out either, I think it only holds a few ounces. My new radiator hose has no spring in it eiter I dont think it matters.

Yeah, there's not a whole lot of tranny fluid in the rad. Just check the fluid level and forget about it. You would definitely know if there was a pumping problem.

I couldn't find a lower rad hose with the spring either, so I reused the spring from the old hose. I hit it with some vinegar to get the scale off though.

Back