• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Buildup advice?

yossarian19

NAXJA Forum User
Aloha.
Right now my 98 XJ is stock, AW4 4.0L D35 / D30. 30x9.5x15s.
I use the thing on highway, trail, everywhere. My only rig. I live in it (or at least in the campsites it gets me to) and play in it.
The goal is to increase its trail capability and self-sufficiency (recovery equipment, armor, etc) as well as overall reliability. I want the rig to hold up off-road, keep the 20ish mileage I get on the highway, keep the axles in one piece and hopefully avoid the cracks in my unibody.

I'm looking at going to a 2" lift, 31x10.50x15s, JCR bumpers & sliders, rear disc brakes from a ZJ and maybe a posi rear end. Who makes a good lift kit fit for 31s? I don't want to go bigger for wear and tear reasons...

On a long enough timeline, keeping in mind I keep off-road to getting where I need to go as opposed to trail runs for the heck of it, will I need to reinforce my XJ?

Which modifications are most important / should take my first dollars? Skid plates / rock sliders / bumpers / what is the most bang for the buck?
What problems, if any, will I run into with this build? It seems mild enough to keep out of trouble but you never know...

Thanks, folks, and please remember that ignorance is temporary while stupid is forever.
-Tom

Imo I would do the 3.5 RE superflex if you would like to run 31's thats what im runnin and it is a DD and love it..................

I would at least get a 3 inch if you want to have enough room to flex and and rub too. As for the other things I would go with some skids first.

XJ_99 said:
Imo I would do the 3.5 RE superflex if you would like to run 31's thats what im runnin and it is a DD and love it..................

x2, im running the RE 3.5 SF kit with OME shocks mounted on 31's and for a DD its a very smooth ride, and it has some excellent off road performance.

-Kyle

I suggest focusing on Recovery points and armor first. A good set of sliders and bumpers should reinforce the Jeep enough for your needs. Once you lift it you gonna want to try it out, so you'll be glad you did armor first.

You may or may not need a SYE, newer style XJs are picky about vibes, even at 2-3".

I agree that a 3" kit would be good for the 31s, unless you don't mind cutting the fenders. You will probably need to do some very minor trimming anyway, but you can adjust the bumpstops so your tire doesn't eat the fender, and keep decent flex.

As far as brands,

The RE 3.5 is nice, and very popular for a reason. With bumpers, sliders, etc... it should give you an actual 3.5". It will sit higher if un-armored, increasing the need for a SYE.

A OME 3" would probably be your best choice as far as smooth riding, but with the weight of armor, it's likely to sit lower than 3", but you only wanted ~2" anyway... right???

People bash Rustys, but I run his stuff with no problems, and know many who have. His 3" kit is ok, and a good choice if your on a budget.

I avoid Rough Country stuff like the plague! A lot of people will say they are fine, but this usually comes from people that have never ran anything else to compare to.

Also stay away from Pro Comp, Rancho, Superlift, or anything else out of JC Whitney...lol

Get a kit with a full spring pack, or build a bastard pack. AALs and blocks are evil, and cause nothing but problems. Shackles are good, but they change your rear pinion angle, so be prepared to shim it. Also don't get shackles that lift more than 1.5", or there will be a lot of stress on the stock mounting point. I have always had great luck with bastard packs, and if built right, they will ride and flex as well as all those high dollar packs, for a fraction of the cost.

I would also suggest getting new LCAs eventually, and the RE kit is the only one I mentioned that comes with them. This is mainly for strength reasons though, at 3" you can shim your stock arms enough to correct your pinion angle.

Thanks much for the help, folks. As far as bumpers go - JCR Offroad looks like the way to go. Anyone have any experience with them or with other brands that are built heavy enough for recovery work? Sliders - again, I'm looking at JCR. Others?
Adding up the numbers, I've just stumbled into (another) expensive hobby...

yossarian19 said:
Aloha.
Right now my 98 XJ is stock, AW4 4.0L D35 / D30. 30x9.5x15s.
I use the thing on highway, trail, everywhere. My only rig. I live in it (or at least in the campsites it gets me to) and play in it.
The goal is to increase its trail capability and self-sufficiency (recovery equipment, armor, etc) as well as overall reliability. I want the rig to hold up off-road, keep the 20ish mileage I get on the highway, keep the axles in one piece and hopefully avoid the cracks in my unibody.

I'm looking at going to a 2" lift, 31x10.50x15s, JCR bumpers & sliders, rear disc brakes from a ZJ and maybe a posi rear end. Who makes a good lift kit fit for 31s? I don't want to go bigger for wear and tear reasons...

On a long enough timeline, keeping in mind I keep off-road to getting where I need to go as opposed to trail runs for the heck of it, will I need to reinforce my XJ?

Which modifications are most important / should take my first dollars? Skid plates / rock sliders / bumpers / what is the most bang for the buck?
What problems, if any, will I run into with this build? It seems mild enough to keep out of trouble but you never know...

Thanks, folks, and please remember that ignorance is temporary while stupid is forever.
-Tom

Yeah...what he said. Count me in too!

Back