• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fog Lights

98CherokeeClassic

NAXJA Forum User
my cherokee was wrecked in the front slightly before i bought it and the previous owner got a new front bumper that had fog lights in it. there are wiring harnesses attached to both lights and there is a wiring harness hanging down right near each of the 2 lights, the wiring harnesses dont match up together so my question is, what are these two old wiring harnesses? were they fog lights, and if so, where is the switch? thanks

On my 98 which did not have factory fogs there was nothing except a plug behind the switch panel under the heater/ac controls. The Power Distribution center on the passenger side had the relay holes but no sockets to plug relays into. The only wire up front was for the temperature LED that goes in the overhead console, thats usually located about dead center of the grill behind the bumper.
What I did was buy the dealer OEM add on fog light kit, the wiring part only, it has all the plugs, switch, relays and new bezel, you remove your rear wiper, rear window defroster switch and put them in the new bezel, and your lighter too. Then you connect a bunch of stuff under the dash and end up with one wire going through the firewall, that wire operates the fog light relays. I used a Hella fog light kit and used that wire to operate the the Hella 550's.
Some here have reported that their PDC's had the sockets in them and all they had to do was get the correct relays, add the switch and connect them up. I was not so lucky.
You can get the oem wiring harness from www.jeepsareus.com for about $90 or so. I only used the inside half of mine, I wanted heavier wires to my lights.

Back