• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

V-6

bl87xj

NAXJA Forum User
O.K. in my searches for an XJ. I have come across a very clean 1985 with only 102K miles. A bit overpriced, but I like the color and would be willing to pay a little more if it is super clean.

I know a lot of XJ ads incorrectly list V-6 motors, but this one being an 85 probably does have the early V-6, right. According to Wikipedia the XJ started out with t GM LR2 V-6 the I-6 statered in '87.

What is the advantage/disadvantage of the v-6? Will it be more difficult to keep running? Should it be avoided?

Thanks,

The 1984-1986 XJ had a V6 as an option. It was the 2.8 V6 from Chevrolet. It should be avoided at all costs, unless it is mint. Mainly because of the 100 miles of vacuum lines, and sheer unreliability. Even if you bought a 84-86 planning to swap a inline six into it, you cannot, since the firewall was modified in 87 to accommodate the 4.0.

Last edited:
88XJSport said:
The 1984-1986 XJ had a V6 as an option. It was the 2.8 V6 from Chevrolet. It should be avoided at all costs. Mainly because of the 100 miles of vacuum lines, and sheer unreliability. Even if you bought a 84-86 planning to swap a inline six into it, you cannot, since the firewall was modified in 87 to accommodate the 4.0.

Its really hit and miss wether or not you need to modify the firewall for any 84-86 XJ/MJ to accept the 4.0L

Some do, some don't, AFAIK its a personal preference thing

IIRC there is a post on using the 3.x liter chevy as a bolt in for a mod, as the block was b/s for larger fwd cars. So you could live with for now and plan it's future reincarnation that way.

The GM V6 is great... as a boat anchor

Back