• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Home made posi-lock

I made mine and it still works great after about 3 years.
I basically followed this writeup, but the pics don't seem to show up any more....http://home.earthlink.net/~stevenschreiber/cabledis.htm

I do however have a pic of mine for reference. It takes a little bit of effort to get it working smooth, but once I got it setup right I haven't had to make any adjustments over those 3 years. The most important part is "disabling" the vacume actuator, so make sure you read the full writeup on how to do this.

DSCF0005.jpg

Chili Palmer said:
I've heard about people making their own posi lock's. Anyone have a write up for this or any idea on how to do it?

I followed billavista's writeup from several years back. i can't find it now. it was on the East coast crawlers website from before he was invited to pirate. but the gist of was this. you find a vacuum switch from a fullsize chero or wagoneer with a quadratrac. and run hose from your existing vacuum actuator to wherever you want the switch. i put the one for my 86 next to the tc shifter. neither of my 89's have i disco axle.

Yeah , the vacuum switch is another option, however the reason most want the posi lock, is because you don't really know if the vacuum system is engaged. You can feel it engage with the cable.

Chili Palmer said:
Is there anything wrong with setting it up so it's always engaged?

Nope, I've actually gotten to the point I keep it engaged most of the time. Even with my locker, it doesn't effect it in 2wd.

The only real reason to dis-engage it is to save some gas because there are less parts turning (dirveshaft). This won't matter if you have an automatic locker though since the DS spins all the time then anyway.

TRAILREADYXJ said:
Nope, I've actually gotten to the point I keep it engaged most of the time. Even with my locker, it doesn't effect it in 2wd.

The only real reason to dis-engage it is to save some gas because there are less parts turning (dirveshaft). This won't matter if you have an automatic locker though since the DS spins all the time then anyway.

I didn't think it would matter since I basically have the same setup in my TJ and it spins all the time and I've got an Aussie in that with no issues.

Thanks, now I just need to find the time to get to it!

Back