• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust system

Crush

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1989 Jeep Wagoneer 4.0 and I need to replace the exhaust.I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.Im not wanting to spend alot of money so the cheaper the better.

what part needs to be replaced? header to tip?
headers you have plenty of options, downpipe you can get made at any exhuast shop, mufflers again you have lots of options.
if you want to replace the whole thing look for a package deal from somewhere.

You should be able to replace the entire exhaust (downpipe, cat.,muffler,
tailpipe and clamps) for around $225. I did it on my 90'. Check out www.rockauto.com , but you should be able to get pretty close to their prices using local shops. You may have to shop around for the CAT. but I've seen them online for $60+ for a 4.0

Well after looking for what I would need to do the exhaust myself I come to realize that I better check here and hopefully someone could tell me exactly what I need.I am not going to use a catalytic convertor.Can anyone help?

ok so Im looking at exhaust parts and looking under my Jeep and I see the flange where the front pipe connects to the catalytic converter and it is rusted like crazy.Is this flange part of the front pipe?If it is do I need to buy one for the Catalytic convertor? or will it be on that as well?

Crush said:
ok so Im looking at exhaust parts and looking under my Jeep and I see the flange where the front pipe connects to the catalytic converter and it is rusted like crazy.Is this flange part of the front pipe?If it is do I need to buy one for the Catalytic convertor? or will it be on that as well?

The OEM style Cat has the flange, it is also more expensive, the cleaper universal Cat eliminates the flange on both sides, so the exosting flange must be cut off, then the new univ. Cat is typically welded on. I am told it is best to keep the flange setup in case you need to pull or drop the tranny, otherwise you need to cut the welded system to drop the tranny. Mine was already welded. I just ordered a Carsound, Magna flow Cat (better flow rate than the oems, 30% more open on the flow area, universal Cat #91005, (I think mine is partly damaged.....) for about $53.75 delivered, Off Ebay. Just search Ebay Jeeps for "Catalytic converter Jeep" and you will find Carsound Magnaflows there, with and with out the flange (OEM and UNiv.). My EBAy seller was Performance Curve.

i seem to recall somebody mentioning that you need the cat to provide backpressure or it wont run right but im not sure do a search or start another thread about it

from my understanding, that's a myth....

Back