• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick Q: Renix Auto TPS work with Manual jeep?

If you have longer screws, my best guess says yes. Though I've never tried it.
I haven't checked the numbers, but I'm pretty sure I have a stick ECU in my XJ, the shift light works well, it's just that I have an automatic.:)

Last edited:
It does although I'm not sure how it works. My 88 MJ which is a stick has the automatic TPS and both plugs are plugged in. Obviously the square one does no good, but I imagine it's still needed for adjustment maybe?

Wanna see a pic. of a factory 5-spd, dual TPS connector, equipped XJ? Oh, and for some idiot reason, the tranny connection for the TPS HAS to be hooked up on mine,or the idle goes nuts (no, there is not a connector on the other end for an A/T). Just went through the TPS gone bad headaches, and re-connected the A/T plug. Now, it runs wonderfully. Stupid Jeep.

My 88 MJ is a factory stick and it has the harness. It is a Pioneer model though so I assume it was maybe meant to be auto and the original owner just wanted a manual, but I don't know. Anyway it truly is there.

Michael Robinson said:
So the square connector goes to the tranny (on vehicles with an auto), and the other one goes to the ECU?

Exactly. So you can use the Auto TPS and just leave the square plug disconnected. On later non-Renix, the Trans computer gets it's throttle signal from the ECU.

I'm going to zombie this one up. I think i need a tps and would like to hear a few more opinions on using the auto sensor in a manual trans vehicle.

the auto sensors are $30, the manual ones are $120....I don't want to spent $90 extra bucks if i don't have to.

Mine is an 87 4.0/5 spd/4x4. It does have the wiring for the auto trans if it matters.

I'm going to zombie this one up. I think i need a tps and would like to hear a few more opinions on using the auto sensor in a manual trans vehicle.

the auto sensors are $30, the manual ones are $120....I don't want to spent $90 extra bucks if i don't have to.

Mine is an 87 4.0/5 spd/4x4. It does have the wiring for the auto trans if it matters.

I haven't tried it yet, but I sure as heck am going to when I need a new one.

There have been other threads talking about this and I don't remember a single post that it didn't work.

If you do it, please post back on the results--it will help someone else down the road.

As I said earlier in the thread it works fine. The ECM is just looking for a throttle signal, either the automatic or manual TPS provides it with that just fine. Either leave the square plug unplugged, or if your Jeep has a female end square plug, go ahead and connect it.

and one more for good measure.....I'm running one on my AX15 with no problems. In fact, I have the entire auto harness swapped in, complete with TCU.

Jeff

Back