• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

starting problems.

halhos

NAXJA Forum User
hey again !
think i have an electrical problem although im a technical idiot(unrelated).the little alarm light within the car that shows when the alarm is on seems to have a life of its own..when i have deactivated it to get into the car it starts to bleep when im driving..this is creating problems with starting.sometimes igniton is very weak but just about turns over and when givin gas it seems ok..and then sometimes it cuts out completely..so i have to keep the revs up alittle and put it in gear where it seems to correct itself.suffice to say its very fickle and seems to be getting worse.any ideas ??
many thanks in advance.
98 cherokee ltd 4.0 ho

What part of Ireland????

Start by checking the battery clamps and posts, they need to be clean, and tight, no corrosion free, always the first place I check. There is a simple tool you can buy for cleaning the posts and clamps, about $1 US.

Also, the battery itself may be on its last legs. Do you know how to use a Multi meter, and check volts and such? You might want to buy one (about $10 t0 $20 US) and if needed, look up some "how to use them" sites on the internet.

Sounds like a battery or battery connection problem.

hey ecomike,many thanks for the help..am from dublin. just replaced the battery so will have to wait till tomorrow morning to see whether it was something electrical or if problem resolved itself..am pretty bad technically.would love to really get into moddding etc(best way to learn i guess) but laws are really prohibitive over here with regard to emmisions etc.thanks again

halhos said:
hey ecomike,many thanks for the help..am from dublin. just replaced the battery so will have to wait till tomorrow morning to see whether it was something electrical or if problem resolved itself..am pretty bad technically.would love to really get into moddding etc(best way to learn i guess) but laws are really prohibitive over here with regard to emmisions etc.thanks again

Dublin eh! My dad stopped there several times on his way back from the UAE (ARAMCO engineer), back in the late 70's and early 80's, before he past away. He was hot on the trail doing the family geneolgy thing, trying to trace back our ancestry. I still have his notes, figured I might give it a try using the internet when I retire one of these days.:D

Back